Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading from 15g to 100g

Hi everyone,

New to this forum, joined today. I'm thinking of upgrading my little 15g to something of bigger volume. As a broke third year biochemistry student, I'm taking my time to get a decent deal on a system.

I just wanted to know a bit more on what I should look out for. This is what I currently have in my basement apartment. Don't mind all the junk around it...it's midterm time. I have a small fish and a butt load of snails.

And this is something i would be interested in. It's 100g, with everything included, even the fish. Granted, i didn't go check it out in person to see it's condition.

I don't want something very fancy. As long as it does the job, I will be happy with it.

I asked on another forum. I got some pretty good answers, but a paintball forum can only take you so far! These are the suggestions I received:

-The stand is too small
    -Maybe not enough lighting

I have about 15 steps to get to my apartment. How heavy are those things empty?

First off....Weclocme to Aquaria Canada!

Second off is that first tank freshwater or salt? What are you trying to keep/accomplish with the bigger tank?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

It's a fresh water tank. I feel like i'm ready for something bigger. It will also be a fresh water tank.

to Aquaria Canada

i agree with the others, that stand looks to small for the tank. lighting isn't to big of a problem for FW so it can be easily added. i also don't like the dimensions of that tank, not tall enough for a good viewing area. yes, tanks do start to get heavy when you get larger but two guys should be able to handle a 100G quite easily.

what type of fish are you thinking of??

where are you located???
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

In the second pic, you can see the 4 fish.

3 seem like cichlids
    1 seem like a sucker fish of somekind. It is hard to see, but he's on the dragon.

I'm in Québec city.

Will the fact that it's not supported on the ends be problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by michbich View Post
    Will the fact that it's not supported on the ends be problematic?
    It depends on the tank, but it is always best to fully support the tank. Some of the new mass produced tanks use a molded brace at the bottom that puts all of the weight onto the outside edges of the tank. If this is one of those tanks definately not a good idea. You could always expand the top of the stand by laminating a couple of 5/8" pieces of plywood cut to fit.

As for the fish I can't tell what they are. You should really find out as they may not fit with the type of fish you want to keep. If you are considering a planted tank then the long narrow tank may be problematic as well.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

i agree the unsupported section may be a big problem, even if supported correctly after you get it. what fish do you want to keep? ( not what are in there, they can be sold )
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Unfortunatly, the deal didn't work out. I am still in the market and will still get one before the end of the semester, but not that one. I don't really care what kind of fish. What ever works and is easy to maintain. I would have kept the ones that were provided.

I decided not to go with the other deal. The lack of support from the bottom put me off a little. I would rather spend a little more and get something of better quality. I don't want to keep throwing money at it after the initial purchase.

I did find another one. It's smaller, 70g. It has 2 x 35 gallon main tanks linked by a full height chanel. Looks neat and nicely supported. Again, it comes with cichilds. I don't care, i'd give them a try. Doesn't really mater what kind of fish I get, i'm not at that level.

I would keep the other tank as a quarantine area probably. Would also keep the little fish and plants to make sure that the tank stays healthy.

I don't know much about it yet. Hopefuly, i will get a response from the seller. I know that it's an acrilic with 2 aquaclear 500 filter. I should be getting better pics of everything soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast