Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How should I run my drain to sump??

2 drains does make sense. In my situation, Looks like I will have a corner overflow box. My tank has plastic piece on the top of the trim across the middle which would get in the way.

So for a corner overflowbox. (from the top to bottom of the tank). I will have 2 drain holes drilled. What I am wondering is, I think it will be tight in that box to have 2 Durso type set ups. Or maybe not..I dont know.

But if it is too tight...I could tie in the 2 drain holes inside the overflow box. Basically feed them both into 1 standpipe. Does this totally defeat the purpose of having 2 drain lines?

I could also not use one of the holes at all and keep as a back up I guess.

Any recommendations?

Where do they typically plug up.

Need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer27 View Post
    Where do they typically plug up.
    Hi.

I've been at this for over 20 years and have never heard of a drain pipe plugging up. I've got two 1.5" drains on my tank using a pair of overflows. I need two drains this size to get the water out of my tank that my MD55RLT pumps in.

I used to have a corner overflow (a box that ran from the bottom of my tank to the top in the corner with a hole in the bottom of the tank) on my 90 but am using a pair of small boxes on my 220. A corner overflow takes up a lot of real estate. Have you considered box overflows? They're small, very easy to install, and relatively easy to adjust to set your water level.

If you're going to join a pair of drains you'll need to join them into a much larger pipe. A pair of 1.5" drains can't be combined into a single 1.5" line, for example. You either need to run both drains back to your sump or you need to increase to a 3" drain so you get sufficient flow on your drains.

This all depends on your choice of pump, of course. If your pump doesn't move much water you can get away with a single drain.

I ran my 90 with a single drain for around 20 years and never had any problems.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Thanks so much Hank.

I thought I was going with the corner overflow box because that place drilling it for me only had that style. They are really close in town and want to have it done right. Anyway, they have the box style and I think I will go with that.

I agree with corner boxes taking up a lot of real estate. I really dont like that look either.

I will have probably a 1.5" drain drilled in top right corner. As a safety, I will have another hole drilled in the other top corner and use a street elbow as a safety and set it above the overflow teeth height.

Finally I think Im getting somewhere. I have read so many threads on so many designs. It being my first sump set up I want to keep it simple.

What kind of gph should I be looking for? As far as the return line. Is there any disadvantages to using a y and splitting it? Does one return do a good job as far as flow in the tank? Just a 75 so it doesnt have to be crazy.

Do you use rigid or flex piping on your return?

Thanks so much. I have a million more questions but I will stop there.

Also, if the pump I get is rated for 500gph....After head pressure and what not would it be closer to 400 or so?

I thought I was going with the corner overflow box because that place drilling it for me only had that style. They are really close in town and want to have it done right. Anyway, they have the box style and I think I will go with that.

I agree with corner boxes taking up a lot of real estate. I really dont like that look either.
    I think the box style is a much better choice. My boxes are simple grey boxes with plain tops.

I will have probably a 1.5" drain drilled in top right corner. As a safety, I will have another hole drilled in the other top corner and use a street elbow as a safety and set it above the overflow teeth height.
    I think the chances that your overflow is ever going to become plugged are very low. I would just use two overflows rather than one and a safety if I were you. (In fact, that's what I'm doing.) It took a bit of fiddling to get both overflows at exactly the same level but I had it done in under two hours.

Others may disagree but I think that teeth on your overflow are a waste of time. My 90 had teeth and they tended to collect crud and needed to be cleaned fairly regularly. They also result in more water returning to your sump in the event of a power failure.

These are just my opinions based on my experience and others may disagree.

Finally I think Im getting somewhere. I have read so many threads on so many designs. It being my first sump set up I want to keep it simple.
    My sump is actually just a big, red, Rubermaid bucket. It doesn't get much more simple than that.

What kind of gph should I be looking for? As far as the return line. Is there any disadvantages to using a y and splitting it? Does one return do a good job as far as flow in the tank? Just a 75 so it doesnt have to be crazy.
    The MR55RLTs that I'm using provide 1080 GPH at 4 feet. That's 5 turns of my tank. That much flow isn't necessary and you're going to end up with a lot of head water above the top of your overflow. I've got about 1/2" of water above my overflow that flows back to my sump when the power goes out. The sump is mostly a place to put process equipment to hide it.

I use a Y in my return because if I don't the flow is so strong that it blows my sand bed all over the place.

Do you use rigid or flex piping on your return?
    I used TigerFlex for all my lines. It's crush proof, smooth, and super easy to route. The wide curves and smooth walls result in less reduction in flow than rigid pipes and fittings do.

Also, if the pump I get is rated for 500gph....After head pressure and what not would it be closer to 400 or so?
    The manufacturer will typically tell you the pressure at a given head. The MD55RLT I use is 1080 at 4' with a max head of almost 27'. There is a graph showing the drop in pressure as the head increases.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Thanks Carr,

Lots of great information. Iam thinking between 400 and 500 gph. Is a 1.5" drain hole good for that?

Lots of great information. Iam thinking between 400 and 500 gph. Is a 1.5" drain hole good for that?
    I'm running around 1000 GPH through a pair of 1 1/2" holes. I would guess that one hole would do 400 to 500 GPH just fine.

Hank.

You don't require boxes at all. Just 2 bulkheads and some 90 degree fittings and strainer baskets. The less real estate taken from your tank equals more corals. I run 2x 1 1/2" drains with strainer baskets and connected behind the tank (also 1 1/2") then to my sump. I run an ocean runner 3500 for a return and I still throttle it back. For me, the lowest amount of flow though my sump equals the most amount of time in contact with various filtration devices. I have a 90 gallon and run about 400 gal an hour through it. DO NOT USE YOUR RETURN FOR FLOW. Thats a waste. I currently have about 55 times turnover of my tank in flow. None of it is calculated with my return in mind. Choose whatever suits your budget and aesthetic for flow but do not do it with your return pump.
    Good luck.

Jay

Thanks guys,

You will have to excuse me but what do you mean when you say "DONT USE YOUR RETURN FOR FLOW" Im such a newbie its painful!

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    You don't require boxes at all. Just 2 bulkheads and some 90 degree fittings and strainer baskets.
    How do you use a pair of bulkheads to create an overflow in the aquarium?

Hank.

I think Jaden means to not have overflow boxes at all. Being a rookie I think an overflow box will be a good idea for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast