Post 55 gallon and 30g sump setup advice

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at AC and I am looking for some advice please. I did a lot of research and reading for over 7 months now about saltwater aquariums and am ready for a new challenge. I'm planning to setup a 55 gallon SW tank with a 30 gallon sump, both to be custom made; with live rock, corals and some fish.

For lighting, I think I'll buy a T5 fixture, probably 4 x 39w or 2 x 54 W mainly because it produces less heat and uses less energy

Here are the specs of the tank I was quoted:

• The tank size 36 L x 16 W x 23 H euro bracing and 10 mm thick glass.
    • 2 holes drilled for $20.00 each (unknown location)
    • internal overflow box (unknown size, location)
    • 30G sump with 3 baffles and one hole
    Here are my questions and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out please:

• What size of holes and where to put them for this setup? Are 2 holes enough?
    • Looking at OSD's basic sump/refugium sketch in this forum, the output hole is bigger than the input hole on the display tank. Is the output hole where I should put the overflow box?
    • Is it better to use Durso pipe inside the overflow box? If yes, where should the hole be?
    • I worry about flooding, like everyone else, when power goes out - what is the safest method?
    • Any recommendations of decent protein skimmers around $200-300? - not noisy
    • Also what pump should I buy and what is the ideal flow rate for this setup?

That's all the questions for now. Looking forward to hearing some advice.

Thank you,

Vyperfish

to Aquaria Canada

you can get away with one hole in the tank for the overflow but two are recommended for safety. 1 1/2" pipe ( 2 1/2" hole ) is recommended for the overflow so a snail / fish / invert can't plug it causing a flood. the return can easily be plumbed over the top of the tank, depending on installation.

are you having a cabinet built / built in??

a durso inside the overflow box works great but the now the box will take up more of your tank. do you have to have and internal overflow box?? since you're having the tank custom built an internal or external ( depending on installation ) coast to coast overflow will be just as easy to do and is more efficient while taking up less room.

to reduce the risk of flooding during a power failure, we drill an anti-syphon hole just below the water level in the return plumbing. in my tank the top of the return line is actually out of the water when the pump is turned off.

take a look at the octopus line of skimmers, where are you located??

ideal flow through the sump is 3x -5x tank volume ( ~150 - 300 GPH ), ideal for your tank ( corals etc. ) would be ~ 40x tank volume ( ~2200 GPH ). this can be achieved with pumps / powerheads / closed loop / etc....

hope fully i answered some of your questions, probably just created more for you :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Vyperfish View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at AC and I am looking for some advice please. I did a lot of research and reading for over 7 months now about saltwater aquariums and am ready for a new challenge. I'm planning to setup a 55 gallon SW tank with a 30 gallon sump, both to be custom made; with live rock, corals and some fish.

For lighting, I think I'll buy a T5 fixture, probably 4 x 39w or 2 x 54 W mainly because it produces less heat and uses less energy

Here are the specs of the tank I was quoted:

• The tank size 36 L x 16 W x 23 H euro bracing and 10 mm thick glass.
    • 2 holes drilled for $20.00 each (unknown location)
    • internal overflow box (unknown size, location)
    • 30G sump with 3 baffles and one hole
    Here are my questions and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out please:

• What size of holes and where to put them for this setup? Are 2 holes enough?
    • Looking at OSD's basic sump/refugium sketch in this forum, the output hole is bigger than the input hole on the display tank. Is the output hole where I should put the overflow box?
    • Is it better to use Durso pipe inside the overflow box? If yes, where should the hole be?
    • I worry about flooding, like everyone else, when power goes out - what is the safest method?
    • Any recommendations of decent protein skimmers around $200-300? - not noisy
    • Also what pump should I buy and what is the ideal flow rate for this setup?
    That's all the questions for now. Looking forward to hearing some advice.

Thank you,

Vyperfish

I actually just sold my 55/30gallon sump setup. I had the tank drilled twice once at 1.5 inch diameter, and one at a 1 inch.

The bigger hole was for the overflow in the corner, and the second hole was for a return line. I used a Mag seven to move the water, and the system worked great.

An overflow box prevents flooding. When the power goes out the water level drops, your sump fills a bit, and then the water is too low to "overflow into" the sump.

The setup is pretty safe. There's a ton of articles on sump setup out there, just look for some pictures or explanations how it works.