Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noob needs skimmer suggestions

Hi, just found this site, am glad to find something north of the 49th parallel.

I am extremely new to the point of not even having a tank as yet. I have been reading books, articles (magazine and online) for about 3 months.
    Have picked up an old 65 gal I am going to convert to sump and I think I'll be getting either a 100 or 150 gal display tank. (need to ensure I will be able to get it thru to the basement). I would like to get started with FOWLR and then move to reef corals. My question is what type and size of skimmer would be best for this type of system?

liv
    for an inexpensive yet good skimmer check out the octopus skimmers.
    A few guys on the board have them and for the price.. seem to provide a ton of skimming.

always go for a skimmer that is minimum rated at or above your total water requirements.. so if u go 150tank + 65 sump thats 215g.. something like 250-300g skimmer would do wonders.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I have a 200 recirc on my 90 sps tank. It has a good size bioload and is fed well. Skims like a champ. I have it being fed from the sump, but it could easily receive all the overflow. I love my skimmer for how much I paid.
    Get the best skimmer you can reasonably afford and provide for in respects to size.
    Good luck
    Jason

I have a Octopus Extrem Series 200 for my 56g+20g which is very good. Strongly Recommand. http://www.coralvue.com/extremeseries.html

You can check with this store or call Ian, I am not sure he give the best price but I bought 2 skimmers from him and the price pretty ok.

http://www.reefperfection.com/
    :028:

It ain't about how you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

Two words.

Bubble King
    29g Biocube, 2x90w Aqua Illumination LED light modules, Vortech MP20, Sapphire BC29 skimmer, GHL Profilux Plus II with 3pump doser.

Thanks everyone for time and input.:b2:

I have been wavering between aqua medic and octo but was unable to find any octo dealers. Thanks vince for solving that little problem for me. It works well as I have a friend I visit near London. :b15:
    If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you in the first place!:b15:

to Aquaria Canada

where are you located???

personally, i love my euro-reef but they're hard to find in Canada now :b8:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I'm in Oshawa
    If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you in the first place!:b15:

totally depends on your price range...
    I have had experience with Tunze, Schuran, Deltec, Red Sea (prizm and prizm pro) and vertex...
    I love my Schuran Jetskim 120, as it comes completely apart to clean (and I mean completely) and has a double reaction chamber to make give the bubbles significantly more contact time with the water.

Anytime you ask what the best skimmer is, someone (in good faith) invariably jumps on and utters the words "bubble king", this is an excellent skimmer if you've got a grand or two to spend on one but for the average reefer, merely excessive....

The most hated on skimmer I know of is the prizm skimmer by red sea, it is also one of the most affordable ones.
    I run a prizm on my ap12 as well as I used to run a prizm on a very heavily stocked 32 gallon that was my first reef and man, did it do the job for me.
    Maybe there is a tendancy to shy away from the cheaper items in this hobby, maybe I just lucked out with how dial them in, but I like these skimmers for their cost/performance ratio.

I also have a prizm pro I keep around for qt's, emergencys and to lend out as it is super easy to set up and works like a damn once set up properly.

I bought a Vertex skimmer, very cheaply I might add as it was essentially to me, a euro reef knock off.
    This turned out to be true in my opinion, and for the money, something like the in250 from vertex would work well for your application without breaking or bruising your bank too.

opinion varies greatly in this hobby, and you should consider how much you want to spend along with your system specs when choosing the "heart" of a healthy system...

Quote Originally Posted by whatigot View Post
    Anytime you ask what the best skimmer is, someone (in good faith) invariably jumps on and utters the words "bubble king", this is an excellent skimmer if you've got a grand or two to spend on one but for the average reefer, merely excessive....
    A good portion of what you're paying for is a high quality red dragon pump made up of many indestructible parts. It's nice knowing your shafts/bearings/axle won't wear out anytime soon. :b2:
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast