Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    58

    Longfin Bannerfish and Bellus Angel

    Has anyone here had either of these fish? If I wanted both which one is least aggressive to add first? I know the angel is reef safe but I'm not sure about the bannerfish. Any opinions about either would be appreciated. My tank is 150g and has been up and running for 5months.

  2. #2
    Former Moderator a4twenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    the Bellus Angel ( Genicanthus bellus ) is considered reef safe but as with all angels there is a chance he / she will nip at corals and clams, though the chances are much less with this species of angel than others. the biggest problem would be finding one, they're a very desirable fish and in short supply which usually means a very high price :b8


    the Longfin Bannerfish ( Heniochus acuminatus ) is not considered reef safe and is well known to nip at soft corals and invertebrates. it's a shame too, they are a beautiful fish ( looks like a Moorish Idol for those who don't know ) but tend to get bullied by aggressive fish ( ie. Tangs ).


    if you were to keep both these fish in a tank ( preferably a FOWLR ), i would add the angel last but with a 150G, both could go in at the same time with little chance for aggression ( depending on current stocking ).


    do you have anything else in the tank yet??

    and post some pics if you can, we love pics :b2:
    `

    120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

    Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor


    My Gallery

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    58
    Thank you, I do have 2soft, an umbrella leather and a colt and some lps. Would the bannerfish nip at lps? I have found a bellus angel but she is $169.00, is this a hardy fish, I would hate to spend that money on a fish thats not very hardy, my tank has only been up for 5mths. So far I have 2cardinals, 2clowns, 1royal gramma and 1yellowwatchman gobi, 2 starfish, all seem do be doing well. Any other suggestions for reefsafe interesting fish?

    I just bought a nice digital camera with an aquariam setting but we have been having trouble with our internet service and have not been able to upload pictures, the internet provided is putting up a new tower but it won't happen for a couple of months:b8:.

  4. #4
    liv
    liv is offline
    Former Moderator liv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,646
    Hi, also keep in mind that these fish are not for the beginner as they are more difficult to feed and have specific requirements. this was posted in the "just getting started forum" thats why i'm saying this.

    if you got a reef, I would be a bit scared personally of putting that angel in there. they may nip, and the problem is, he may not for months/years, but skip one meal, and you may end up with an angel that just develloped a taste for nipping corals, and after that its all down hill, you will have to remove him or consider your talk FOWLR. he he.
    Search around for smaller pigmy angels. these stay smaller and you also have "less" chance of him nipping.

    hope this helps.

    moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

  5. #5
    liv
    liv is offline
    Former Moderator liv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,646
    just saw your last post, bellus angels are relatively hardy fish. but not as hardy as your other fishies in there. He also grows pretty big (7-8" )

    why not the typical tang ? like yellow or kole or purple.
    same genous. these are hardy, loads of personality, usually swim out in the open all the time and usually good tank mates.
    my personal favorite is the kole. inexpensive, and with time, beautiful dark spotted coloration. awesome personality and a real hardy fish. .. and did I mention inexpensive like 40$ gets u a small kole.

    moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Hi, also keep in mind that these fish are not for the beginner as they are more difficult to feed and have specific requirements. this was posted in the "just getting started forum" thats why i'm saying this.

    if you got a reef, I would be a bit scared personally of putting that angel in there. they may nip, and the problem is, he may not for months/years, but skip one meal, and you may end up with an angel that just develloped a taste for nipping corals, and after that its all down hill, you will have to remove him or consider your talk FOWLR. he he.
    Search around for smaller pigmy angels. these stay smaller and you also have "less" chance of him nipping.

    hope this helps.
    Ok thanks, I thought I had read that this was one of the most reef safe angels.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    just saw your last post, bellus angels are relatively hardy fish. but not as hardy as your other fishies in there. He also grows pretty big (7-8" )

    why not the typical tang ? like yellow or kole or purple.
    same genous. these are hardy, loads of personality, usually swim out in the open all the time and usually good tank mates.
    my personal favorite is the kole. inexpensive, and with time, beautiful dark spotted coloration. awesome personality and a real hardy fish. .. and did I mention inexpensive like 40$ gets u a small kole.
    Kole tangs do seem to be easy to get in my area. I was going to add a tang or two later but I thought they should be the last fish added due to aggressiveness.

    My total fish plan was, 2clowns, 2cardinals, 1royalgramma, 1 gobi, (have them), still to add, 1angel, maybe bannerfish, maybe longnose hawkfish, 1 sohal tang and 1 regal tang. My tank is 150g + 30g sump + 20g fuge. I don't mind feeding alot or special diets as I work right beside my tank all day. I am new to saltwater but have kept freshwater for a few years.

    Does anyone see any problems with compatibility or anything else with this plan?

    Thanks for your help

  8. #8
    liv
    liv is offline
    Former Moderator liv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,646
    other then the angel, I think your fine.
    your longnose hawkfish could nip on some polyps.. but again its a per fish issue.
    they are beautiful to watch for sure

    post some pics when u get a chance, looks like an awesome setup!

    moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

  9. #9
    Senior Member todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    176
    iv had my bellus angel in my reef for about 6 months now she hasn't picked on anything yet, i'm not the best at keeping my feeding up so i guess i'm just lucky, i got my bellus for 150, best investment i ever made, she had major ich when i got her but the 2 cleaner shrimps i had took care of that in about a week and a half.
    i'm just going off my experience i personally have not had any trouble with her picked on any of my corals i had a clam in my tank for a while and still no picking, so i would for sure recommend go with the bellus.

    i was looking for a angel to add to my reef for a while and i read a lot over the net that they are hard to come by reef safe angels, when i saw a bellus the colors and on top of it "reef safe" <- depending on who you talk to) i couldn't resist
    hope it helps
    good luck
    Todd

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    iv had my bellus angel in my reef for about 6 months now she hasn't picked on anything yet, i'm not the best at keeping my feeding up so i guess i'm just lucky, i got my bellus for 150, best investment i ever made, she had major ich when i got her but the 2 cleaner shrimps i had took care of that in about a week and a half.
    i'm just going off my experience i personally have not had any trouble with her picked on any of my corals i had a clam in my tank for a while and still no picking, so i would for sure recommend go with the bellus.

    i was looking for a angel to add to my reef for a while and i read a lot over the net that they are hard to come by reef safe angels, when i saw a bellus the colors and on top of it "reef safe" <- depending on who you talk to) i couldn't resist
    hope it helps
    good luck
    Todd
    Thanks Todd, thats great to hear. I have also read that they are the most reef safe angels, even more so than the dwarf angels, but then read about them being little mosters, but I have heard too many times that they are peoples favourite fish so I think I am going to put one in my qt tank with a coral and see what happens.

    Anyone else had experience with this angel or the bannerfish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bellus Angel --reef safe?
    By jonah in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 01:12 AM
  2. Bellus angel nipping lps
    By Ironman in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 07:21 PM
  3. New Bellus Angel
    By Ironman in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 06:41 PM
  4. Bellus Angel... FINALLY GOT ONE!!!
    By tang_man_montreal in forum Reef Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •