Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Flood In Basement

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right forum but here goes.
    I had a flood in the house last Sunday morning, May 17th. The supply line to the dishwasher burst in the early morning while we were sleeping. End result was there was water on the floor in the kitchen and part of the dining room but the most damage was done in the basement where all the water leaked down. Most of the ceiling had to be torn down and the whole floor has to be replaced. The problem was my 180 gallon tank was in the way so it had to be moved. Insurance is covering the cost of moving the tank so I just need advice on whether what I did was right.
    I bought a 65 gallon tank 36" x 24" x 18", and set it up in the utility room which had bare cement floors. I then filled it up with water from my 180 and some egg crate that I staggered into 3 tiers and put all my corals (75 pieces), some live rock, 11 inverts (6 shrimp, 2 long spine sea urchins and 3 conchs) and 3 wrasses in it. I am running it with one of my old Sunlight Supply 6 x 39 W bulb x 3' long Tek 5 fixture with 2 Hydor Korallia Powerheads to provide circulation and movement. I then took out the 320 lbs of live rock in the tank and stored it in 2 Brute 50 gallon containers with water from the tank and a Maxijet 600 running in each container to keep the water moving.
    Is this setup enough? Since I will probably have all the corals, 3 fish and inverts on it for a minimum of 3 weeks I am worried about rising Nitrate levels
    in the 65 gallon as I have no form of filtration on it. Also, will the live rock stay live for that long? Since I did all the work myself I am saving a lot of money and will have enough to pick up a new skimmer and a sump for the 180. Would I be better off cutting the old 48" long sump down to a 30" and using it as a sump with the Deltec AP600 Skimmer for the 65 gallon? Would this be very hard to do? I have a Mag 7.5 that I can use as a return pump.
    I plan on making this 65 gallon a FOWLR tank after everything is done. All the other fish are being boarded at a LFS. Any ideas on how to improve this or what steps I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.
    I am also looking for anybody in the GTA that can build me a 60 to 75 gallon Acrylic Sump like the Model F in Melev's Reef with the Fan Holders and Bubble Tower at a decent price and fairly quickly.

It sounds like you made the right moves. You are fortunate to have such a small fish load or it would have been much more difficult. As for the 65 without a skimmer you will need to do regular water changes to help keep the nitrates down. Adding as much live rock to the tank as you can will help with this as well. For the live rock in tubs just make sure to keep the water moving and approx the right temp and it should be fine.

What I would suggest is when you set everything back up in the 180 to transfer the rock back and then let it sit for a couple of weeks with the skimmer, lights, etc. and watch the nitrites/nitrates for any spikes. After that you should be good to transfer the rest of the contents back to the tank.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Shipwreck

Thanks for the quick reply. I will certainly do what you advised when I set it back up, which will probably in a month's time depending on how fast the insurance people move. I just checked the Nitrates in the 65 gallon tank and it is already at around 70. I will need to do a water change tomorrow.
    If I buy a 30 gallon tank and use it as a sump with the Deltec AP600 Skimmer, what do I buy for the overflow when the tank is not drilled? I have a Mag 7.5 pump that is doing nothing right now. Will running the Skimmer and the sump help the Nitrate problem?

hi, I went through something similar to this but under different circumstances. My tank being taken down was a 180gal and i moved everything into a 90 gal as a temp holding tank (temp- lasted probably a month or so). My fish bio load in the orig 180 was small, i had lots of rock in the 180 and a DSB and many sps, lps corals.

When i swung from the 180 to the 90 i moved maybe only 25% of the rock from the 180, none of the sand from the DSB. I did use water from the 180 in the 90 gal temp setup but this was not enough to support what had been living in the 180. I had a tank crash within a week of moving my stuff into the 90 from the 180 and lost alot

Do your best to maintain a similar equalibrium in the temp system. In hindsite I should of plumbed a rubbermaid container to the temp 90 gal to move over ALL the rock from the 180..FWIW, trying to move the dsb or even partial from the 180 into the 90 temp (or even rubbermaid) could of been attempted although moving a dsb that was at the time at least 5 yrs old probably would not of been a great idea anyways). All the rock would of probably made the difference.

I hope this helps you.
    Jeff

An expensive and hard lesson learned.

JeffD
    Thanks for the personal experience reply. I will probably try to put more live rock in from the 2 Big Brutes into the 65 gallon temp when I do a 25 gallon water change tomorrow. I think I made a mistake keeping the 3 wrasses in with the corals in the temp tank. I might also take them out and board them to a LFS.

yes getting in as much of your rock from the 180 into the 65 is key IMO. What ever rock doesnt fit keep it in your brutes and as suggested keep some flow in the brutes and at least room temp or tank temp for the rock. If you can't connect the brutes with the excess rock somehow to your 65 do your best to keep the rock alive and healthy. Some occasional lighting on the brutes would probably keep it along nice as well..Not too much light as your not looking to grow brutes full of rock with hair algea either

good luck!

Now that the contractors are going to be in and they expect to be finished in 2 weeks, I need help in making a sump. What I plan to do is convert my 65 gallon aquarium (36" L x 18" W x 24" H) which I am now using as a temporary coral holding tank into the sump and just use the existing 50 gallon (47" L x 15" W x 16" H) as a frag tank. Since my stand has 36" clearance heightwise I can easily do this. I need to know how to divide the 3 ft' long section into 3 compartments (fuge on the left, return in the centre and overflow return on the right). How high are the baffles, the dividers, and the size of each section, etc. so I can have the glass cut.

make the baffles 1/4" under size so you can fit them in.

does your skimmer have an optimal running depth?? and how tall is the skimmer??

these and leaving enough room for a power failure are the most important details of designing a new sump.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

a4twenty

I was kind of hoping that you were going to reply. You were helping me to remodel my old sump in my other thread Ammonia Question. In answer to your question, in my old sump which was 47" L x 15" W x 16" H 48 gallons, in a running state I had 22 of gallons of water in the sump. The 65 gallon aquarium I am going to use is 36" L x 18" W x 24" H. I have now bought an outside Skimmer so it is no longer an issue.

manster here is a calculation for your glass if you can follow it that is its confusing the way the guy wrote it but it works....

take the heighth of your tank and divide by the gallons. That gives you water volume per inch of tank. Figure in that 2 inches will overflow when the power is out. Next, do the same math for the sump/fuge tank(heighth divided by gallons). Now take the number of overflow gallons and figure how many inches it will need in the sump/fuge.

here is an example of some one using a different size tank then yours put just put your size of tank in there...

my 180 is 24" tall and my 55 is 20" tall. So:

24"/180 = 0.13 inches per gallon
    20"/55 = 0.36 inches per gallon

2" over flow/0.13 = 15.38 gallons
    15.38 x 0.38 = 5.57"

or this way works....

You got it. Or this way

24"/180= 7.5 gallons per inch
    20"/55= 2.75 gallons per inch

2" overflow/7.5 gallons= 15 gallons
    15\2.75= 5.45"

any baffle from the bottom up needs to be 14.55" tall or shorter.

Hopefully this works for you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast