Thread: Moonlights?

Moonlights?

Is moonlight benefecial or more of a novalty thing?

keeps me from stubbing my toes on the living room furniture if I go on the prowl late at night. I'm going with beneficial

Seriously though I only use 2 3/4 W led's in my 90 so as not to break the corals day/night patterns. It's nice to see what they do at night time. The tank takes on a different appearance and you can see some neat things. Also nocturnal fish like the Cardinals are fun to watch as they come right out and own the tank after dark.

liv
    ahahaha... hilarious !

I did quite a few tests over a few weeks and my results were this:
    ( based on my own research only )
    - never put a true uv bulb ( like a fluorescent uv )
    corals think its daytime and it stresses them cauz they think lights on 24/7
    - too much moon light ( again they think lights are on 24/7

- a gentle led, nothing calculated in watts ( more like milliwatts ) are ok. Better would be one that fallows real moon cycles.

- I found that dispersing the light also made the corals happier. so I ended up shooting the led up in the MH reflectors and it would bounce afew times before coming back down into the tank.

Remember that corals need a good 12h of sleep.
    so keep that moon light dim, real dim.
    also look around on the net for a good wave lenght for your led's. ( like uv ~365 ) or the white ones are usually rated in Kelvin.. ex: white 6500k

some people go uv, I prefer a nice white led ( like the moon gives us )

Like Kenzy says, the 2 watters are great.. but I'd recommend ( unless they have a very wide light pattern, to shoot them up into a reflector so the light is not directly hitting a specific coral.

my 2 cents.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i think they could be beneficial if you used them on a timer to match the lunar cycle ( spawns, etc.. ) but personally i like them just to increase my view time and see whats really going on after dark.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I use a string of the blue rope lights you can buy at christmas on the big tank and a 6 led light on the small tank. The big tank has the lights on a timer for a couple hours after lights out, couple hours before lights on. I think it looks cool.

A friend of mine is actually using the outdoor solar led lights on his tank, just removed the cover. He says they give him a nice light and automatically dim and go off after a couple of hours. His mandarins spawn just about everynight so they must like them :b16:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Aside from the reasons above, I like to know my fish aren't swimming around bumping into each other at night :b2:. Also, when you have thousands of dollars invested in something that looks awesome, and you have the option to still see it for the other half of the day, then why on earth would you have your tank hiding in the dark?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I like to know my fish aren't swimming around bumping into each other at night :b2:

good point, especially for those of us with a hungry haddoni :b13: ( or other anemone's )

i'm using two of these from BA's.....

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...tnocturnalblue

what attracted me to these was they come in blue, white and red and you can add more on the same power supply ( cheaper ) . i only have the blues right now but want try the white ( actual moonlight ) and the reds would be great for stalking the livestock.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    I love blue leds... I had a set of 24 running across the tank for years... never turned them off. They make your corals jump out at you when the other lights are off.

Rencently I swapped them out for a set of 40 1 to 3 watt blue's on variable ballasts. These are extremly bright and give the tank a 20k look along side of the 2x T5 54 watters. I no longer keep them on 24/7 as I feel they are way too bright(they follow the regular lamp cycle). They are currently running at 1 watt each and plan to swap out the T5 Actinic for a 10k and boost the LEDS to 3 watts each for a total of 120 watts. Before this can happen I have to add some cooling fans to the heat sinks as they generate a ton of heat.

IJO