Smile my new 40 gallon

I just got a new 40 gallon tank set up and I thought I would post pictures as I start to fill it.

I bought about 30 pounds of rock and 2 Darwin clowns so far. I know from the past to take it slow and I probably should have waited to buy the fish but I got a really good deal on them. They have been in the tank for about a week now and are not very active so far. Im feeding them mysis and although they are eating it I get the feeling that they are not enjoying it...they'll eat a piece and then spit the next one out...and they do this about 5 times each feeding. I might try another type of food. I want to buy them an anemone but I figure I should maybe buy a small frag of xenia or zoos first (something simple) just to make sure everything is good and then slowly work my way up to an anemone.

I have a fan pointing on the tank as the apartment gets pretty hot during the day. The tank gets to about 82 degrees by mid day...I may lower the temp to 76 degrees so that at night it goes down and by mid day it wont get as high...I'll have to wait until I get coral to see if they are afftected by the small increase in the temp.

I didnt put in a sump and the lights are just power compact. I like to keep my tank simple and in the past have found this method to work fine. I found a used Prizm protein skimmer for $20.00 and bought 2 maxi jet 600...I may need to get more powerful maxijets as there doesnt seem to be much flow though...maybe thats why the clowns arent very active. The rocks and sand I found online and got a great deal (for anyone reading this that is also getting started it is usually cheaper to buy from fellow hobbiest online)

My only problem right now is the lights are on one switch so I have them on a timer but both atinics and day time lights come on at the same time...Im trying to figure out if I can split them but that's on another thread though.

Im also starting to get a little bit of rusty looking algea on the rocks and sand so I am going to go out and get more cleaning crew soon.

Anywho here are some pics and I will post more once I start to buy coral and more fish.
    Thanks for reading
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my new 40 gallon-picture-009.jpg   my new 40 gallon-picture-008.jpg   my new 40 gallon-picture-007.jpg  

have you been testing your water??

could you better explain the time line of the tank, when you started, added the LR, to when you added the fish??

clowns aren't all that active under normal circumstances but if there is NH3 ( ammonia ) or NO2 ( nitrites ) present, they are probably having a very hard time breathing.

i would skip the MJ's for flow and look for something with more power ( ~ 500 - 800 gph ea. )

the rust algae is diatoms and is perfectly normal in a new tank.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

What he said.

As for the temperature 82 isn't too high. The biggest problem with warmer water is it doesn't hold as much oxygen, and there for in a heavily populated tank fish can actually suffocate. Pointing a power head at the surface will help with oxygenation of the water.

For the prisim skimmer, you could have had mine for free if you wanted it. They are pretty much useless as you are finding out. They don't skim very well, the often stop functioning, or go nuts and fill the cup and shutdown. In any setup you normally want to keep the skimmer running 24/7 which helps keep the water clean instead of letting it build up, as well it helps agitate/arate the water for gas exchange.

To get more flow like A4 mentions skip the maxis or keep them and do the mod kit on them. Otherwise something like a seio or koralina may be a good choice.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I've used a Prizm protein skimmer in the past with my 75 gallon and thought it worked fine...I'm trying to do this without breaking the bank so cheaper is better.

yes definately get some korilia's
    and use the maxijets for mixing salt or put them at the bottom of the tank for more flow down there,use the korilia(s) at the top try to break the water at the top of tank for more oxygen.

take your time,it will all even out and your tank will look great in do time.

more live rock is important 1-2 pounds per gallon you need atleast 10 more pounds, its one of the best filters you can own and natural to boot.

Thanks for the advise "new2thereef" ...I like the maxi jets though and dont want to go out and spend more money on something that I dont think is necessary...like I had said previously I like to keep it simple (and cheap)

I also plan on buying rock with coral attached to it so I will have more rock in there eventually...I know from the past to take my time and that's what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by wend121 View Post
    Thanks for the advise "new2thereef" ...I like the maxi jets though and dont want to go out and spend more money on something that I dont think is necessary...like I had said previously I like to keep it simple (and cheap)

I also plan on buying rock with coral attached to it so I will have more rock in there eventually...I know from the past to take my time and that's what I am doing

thas cool no problem
    to each their own

but the most ammount of flow is good so you do not have any dead spots.
    nitrate build up.

as for the live rock,remember when you add new rock to the tank you could trigger another cycle,which could be very bad for the fishes lives.

i would recommend getting up to atleast 40 pounds for you 40 gallon tank.
    the sooner the better. and a good test kit

good luck and take care,
    Clint

I think it looks good. It takes a long time to reestablish equilibrium even when you use actively cultured LR from an existing system. I know what you mean about the Prism. If you understand the unit, and don't try to make it work like something else, it will do what it is designed to. It is just not designed to do a lot. Mine is sitting in the closet now that I have a 90 gal. It did ok on my sumpless 47 cube for two years.

Clowns can live in pretty diverse situations. They are probably the original SW fish to be kept as I have them in an Aquarium Manual published in 1933! The little percs and ocellaris are as hardy as it gets for SW.

Your rust would be diatoms and that is mostly due to there being some excess elements in the water they use to build a sort of skeleton. Once they bloom they should recede as they will have used up the excess silica and such. They are helping establish the equilibrium right now. I find the little Caribbean Nerites go after diatoms pretty efficiently. Trochus are pretty awesome too.

So both my clown fish died...I noticed they had what looked to be parasites all over them and then both were found this morning dead. I was really excited to get them and I knew as a starter fish they are normally pretty hardy.

I checked my water and everything was fine but who knows.

...I love this hobby but good lord its hard on the pocket book, especially when you loose something that is out of your control.

So now my tank is fish free...how long should I wait to get more? Will the parasites die themselves now that there are no fish to cling onto?

Sorry to hear the clowns didn't make it.

From your first post it sounds as though you bought the rock and the clowns at the same time. Then you were talking about the clowns being sluggish and not appearing to eat. I'd say they died from the stress of a tank still cycling.

Have you been monitoring the amonia, nitrite, nitrates? Did you see a rise then fall in any parameters? What test kits have you been using?

As for the question of how long to leave the tank, that will depend. You need the tank to cycle and the only way to know this is monitoring the parameters. I would expect you are still going to go through the various algae stages as well. As you yourself said, be patient and take your time, this will give you the best results and have less impact on finances.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.