want to start a 90gal tank....

hi there guys....i've been on hiatus for like 6 months or so.

anyways i've had my 29gal biocube going now for more than 8 months and everything is amazing. tank is really looking nice and clean. but now that i've realized im very limited to what livestock i can put on my tank...i've talked to my "cheif" at home about starting up a bigger tank. so i was thinking of going with at least a 90gal tank. this time i want to get a custom setup. so here i am with some questions....

1. how do you plumb the tank? i mean i hear a lot of closed loop...what exactly is it?

2. for a 90 gal tank...how big should my sump be??? is a sump same as refugium??

3. also how strong should my return pump be???

.....i guess that's all i can think of now.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jun_18T View Post
    1. how do you plumb the tank? i mean i hear a lot of closed loop...what exactly is it?
    usually the tank is plumbed with an internal ( sometimes external ) overflow, this skims the water surface and sends the water to your sump ( via gravity ). a closed loop is when you drill extra holes in your tank and use a pump to suck water in from the tank and pump it directly back into the tank, just to create flow. personally i'm not a fan of them because once you drill the holes, you have little control of the flow after. the up side is that you have less powerheads in the tank.

2. for a 90 gal tank...how big should my sump be??? is a sump same as refugium??
    for the sump, the general rule is to go as large as you can. this allows you to run all your equipment out of sight and the more water the better ( dilution ). a refugium is a place for macro algae and critters to thrive without being eaten. it's not the same as a sump but they're usually incorporated in the sump, for example ...

3. also how strong should my return pump be???
    this will depend on your overflow capacity, head loss ( height difference between sump and tank ) and a couple other factors. this can be determined later as your plans start coming together.

great to hear your tank is doing well :b16: and even better to hear the wife is letting you upgrade.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    great to hear your tank is doing well :b16: and even better to hear the wife is letting you upgrade.
    thanks a4....by the way it's the wifey that wants to get a bigger a tank....can you beleive that:b16:

so i would be better off just having an overflow to make it simplier. i would be taking this project slowly as this will require more funds than my BC29. anyways i learned my lesson already that nothing good happens when you rush things in this hobby.

are you able to post a pic of your sump/refugium setup if you dont mind. its just that im more of a photographic person that i need to see something for me to understand it. tried searching for pics online but i couldnt come up with something.

lastly....what place you recommend me going to for a custom tank size??? which is better acrylic or glass???

thanks a lot!

Setup

Hi there, have a look at this series, it is pretty much the same as the diagram he drew up. http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...user/2006/sl/r

Rick
    65 gal. w/40 sump, 90 gal. w/30 sump, 20 gal. frag/holding tank and a whole bunch of paraphanalia to go with it!

powder18

nice diagram 4twenty, hey jun 18T I used to have 90g thats good size for starting SW tank. But what can I say i only have 40 g right now, i thought i might share with you my tank's pic. got no sump just the hang on skimmer w/250w MH pretty much not complicated set up , my tank was set up not too long ago. i would say 8 months, getting out of space lol hey jun welcome to SW hobby:b2:

http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/t...afilter=images
    http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/t...afilter=images

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    its always exciting to start a new system, enjoy! as for expense, the sump doesn't need to have baffles etc. my last sump was a 40g breeder with a five gal set inside that i used as a fuge. the simplest is a tank within a tank. the overflow from the display went into the 5g that overflowed into the 40g that held my skimmer, and misc. equipment and excess LR.

they are usually set up under the tank, so the size is limited by the amount of room you have. often you will need to build a custom sump if you can't find a tank the right size. here's a pic of my sump, i don't know how much the wife loves you but a basement sump may be out of the question. :b13:

for the display tank, i would only use glass. for the sump a generic size tank is the easiest and least expensive ( breeder tanks are used usually ), if you can make it work for you. if not you can have a custom sump built ( $$$ ) or if you have the tools and like to do stuff yourself they can be built quite easily.

you may not need to go custom with the tank, there are many RR ( Reef Ready ) models out there in the usual sizes. though by going custom you can have more control over exactly how things are built ( how many holes, starphyre glass, etc.... ) but you will pay quite a bit more for this perk.
    `

My Gallery

thanks guys for all the replies.....

so....as far as all the things i gathered reasearching all this stuff this is what i've found out. you guys are more than welcomed to correct me if im wrong.

1. the display tank will have an overflow box in which water will go through and down the sump via gravity.

2. it will then flow through the sump. i would guess the sump will have at least 3 chambers???? so it will flow to the 1st and then 2nd and then 3rd which will have the return pump to push it back to the display tank again?? so why is it that i see some setups have a tee connector after the overflow and then it splits the water through different areas of the sump? could i do that too???

3. what would be the typical setup of the sump?? let's say what would be in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd chambers of the sump???

thanks for all the help....

1. the display tank will have an overflow box in which water will go through and down the sump via gravity.
    correct. as your return pump sends water to the tank, the water level rises until it reaches the overflow. the water then flows ( falls ) through a pipe ( preferably 1 1/2" ) down to the sump. the water then flows ( via gravity again ) through your sump until it reaches the return pump and it starts all over again.

2. .... ( answered most above )..... so why is it that i see some setups have a tee connector after the overflow and then it splits the water through different areas of the sump? could i do that too???
    yes you can. usually you "T' the return to send water to you fuge ( or other ), this allows you to better control the flow ( with ball / gate valves ) as well as send unfiltered water to the fuge critters.

3. what would be the typical setup of the sump?? let's say what would be in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd chambers of the sump???
    the typical setup is

skimmer section ---> refugium ---> return section, with the water entering into the skimmer section.

the usual alternate is

refugium ---> return section <--- skimmer, with the water entering in both the skimmer section and the refugium.

i went with the second version because it allows you to have a higher water level in your refugium.
    `

My Gallery