Thread: Hiding fish

Hiding fish

We replaced an impeller on one of our hydor nanos over a month ago. When my husband started the tank up a lot of sand was disturbed and the two clowns were noticeably irritated and one started flashing in the sand bed. Possibly the LFS handling the impeller part brought in a bug? I didn't clean the part before putting it in the impeller.

A few days later one eye popped and then the other (so its not an injury) then he got a whitish grey growth on its forehead that took two weeks to go away. We are diligent with the weekly water changes, no temperature fluctuations. The clowns eyes are still popped but not as dramatically as before. He can still see and eats well. I researched medication and didn't get consistent advice. One store recommended melafix. So its just been extra diligence with the water and for a couple weeks I kept the lighting on much less.

Both clowns have been hiding at the back of the tank or under a rock cave. I can't figure out why. The cleaner shrimp has molted twice and seems happy and healthy. We have a cheapo skimmer by oceanic.

They both come racing out to eat.

Any ideas? The tank has been set up a year and a half and the clowns have been in it for about a year. The hiding has coincided with the one clown getting popeye. The female clown seems very happy and physically fine when she is out wiggling her butt off for food.

Thank you.

liv
    make sure you give it good mix of food,
    mysis, selcon, garlic, cyclopeese.
    clowns are special in that they are immuned to a few deseases.. and have their own deseases too.

Make sure they have a relaxed atmosphere, good quality food, and they will come around.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks Liv. I haven't tried any food with garlic and I'll look into this. I do give them a varied diet. I feed them ocean nutrition prime reef flake food a couple times a week just in case it offers more fortified nutrition than the frozen foods we feed also. I haven't fed them live foods.

liv
    for the garlic, most stores sell a garlic oil extract.
    I personnaly press my own garlic with the regular garlic press and mix it in my food. cheaper and fresh.
    No real studies have been made concerning garlic.. I've always used it for years.. had good results.. but it may be just regular healing.
    selcon will also help, thats a proven vitamin supplement.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30