Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: liquid skimmate

liquid skimmate

my skimmer is an internal DAS skimmer (H99 I think)...anyways, was wondering what it means when the stuff is more liquid then gunky. The colour is greenish brownish and it coats the collection cup, but the cup also collects lots of liquid.

How to adjust it to make more of the gunky stuff? Is it hte amount of air coming in the intake or the water levels?

thanks!
    thanks.
    thien

I have two of these tanks and IMO there are hard to adjust, i think it is more air intake, than the water level.

it is difficult to be adjusting both the water and air supply rates at the same time. I would recommend you max out the air and slow down the water flow rate until you have it working the way you like. Also make sure it is in a part of your sump that will not see changes in water depth.
    Rob

having the liquid skimmate rather than the gunk - does that mean that is is not pulling out the junk? or that is is pulling out the junk and more, just being more sensitive and pulling out even the tinniest amount of organics?
    Albert
    My Photos

Isn't what the skimmer pulls out related to bio-load?
    thien your tank description says you only have 2 clowns, could this be a contributing factor?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

getting too much liquid in the cup means the bubbles are going over the top TOO wet which means the bubbles are being driven up the tube with just a little too much force. Try Turing down the water flow rate a little and leave the air setting alone if there is enough bubbles in the column. The amount of water that goes through the skimmer will be reduced but what dose go through it will be in contact with the air longer. The foam that goes over the top into the cup should be pretty dry.
    Rob

too much water flow through the skimmer...hmmmmm...I do not think I can turn that down...the only thing I can adjust is the amount of air.
    hmmm....
    thanks.
    thien

Are you using a power head to feed water to this skimmer? if so most of them have some sort of flow rate control on them. IF it is a power head with no flow control try blocking part of the pickup screen. This is FINE TUNING time so make your changed as small and go one step at a time .
    Rob

no powerhead...just water coming in thru the overflow.
    thanks.
    thien

OK if there is no way to control the water flow rate then you have little choice but to continue with adjustments to the air flow rate. I hate having to do this because the pumps them selfs don't even delver a consistent amount of air. A my house the air production is effected by time of day hydro usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast