New to Salt Water and need a little help

Hello, I am new to salt water and planned on making a 10 gallon reef.I have been doing research and I have most of the answers to my questions but I am still confused about lighting and salt .I have seen on the web someone has used a 2 socket 10 gallon canopy with 2 coarlife 50/50 bulbs 20 watts each but from what I understand his will limit me to low light coral.I was wondering if there is any cost effective ways to have better lighting? or am I going to have to invest in a decent light?When it comes to salt is there one that is better or is it personal preference?

For the salt, it's both a personal preference and you get what you pay for deal. There's an old poll around here on what brand of salt people use and why they do or do not use certain ones. When it comes to tanks as small as yours, I say go for the good quality stuff. It sounds like you want all your options open for going low and high light corals. The more expensive stuff caters to jam packed reef tanks.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Welcome to the Hobby

Its great to hear that you are researching before jumping in.:b2: I have used Instant Ocean with no issues for years. The key here is test your water, some corals will require higher levels of calcium & other trace elements. Research the coral/fish that you want and then choose the equipment. Some smart planning now, will save money in the long run.

Just one warning!!! Once you start, you will be addicted and future expansions will occur.

liv
    couldn't of said it better.. :b15:

most people around here use regular Instant Ocean ( IO ) as its readily available from our sponsors/vendors. some people also go for the reef chrystals version of the instant ocean. look at the thread mentionned above. At the bottom, someone posted some tests that were made to compare the salts.
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...?threadid=3357

as for lighting a 10g, all depends what you want to keep, a modified canopy will give you ok results, but if you plan to keep sps or other harder and more light demanding creatures, look for a higher quality setup. In the end, take into consideration that the reflectors are half the work. In other words good quality reflectors are responsible in some cases to 1/2 more lighting! worth the investment. so the same fixture taking ex: 70w of t5's may output 200par at surface while another one might push out 350-400!

You should read on StephG's setup:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11990

Also, Xenon's tank build:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13558

Also, you should tag along krugar's JBJ 28g hqi tank build
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...threadid=14806

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    Quote Originally Posted by Blakes View Post
    ........... Just one warning!!! Once you start, you will be addicted and future expansions will occur.

ahhhh.. ohh sooo true

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks everyone for your help, I will try to fight off the bug I'm already thinking about a bigger tank and don't even have this one set up.

to Aquaria Canada

good luck and make sure to post some pics once you're ready :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

My suggestion would be, if it's within your budget, start off with something larger than a 10 G as your first reef tank.

Due to the small water volume, it can be harder to keep a 10 G stable than it can a 33 or larger.

And as everyone's said, research, read, ask questions, and research more, before you buy anything. It'll save you a lot of headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by bench View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help, I will try to fight off the bug I'm already thinking about a bigger tank and don't even have this one set up.
    Well, 10g is pretty small and very limiting on fish choices. I would highly recommend starting with something a little larger as your first tank. As you said your already considering bigger and buying equipment for a slightly larger tank is cheaper then buy this equipment and doing it all again in a few months.

There are some potential disadvantages to a nano tank to consider as well. With the small volume of water things can change more quickly. Temp can rise quickly, evaporation has a bigger impact on salinity in such a small volume, even the death of a small fish/snail can affect water quality. There are some advantages to smaller as well such as, easier to move, cheaper to stock, less space etc.

Good luck and make sure you post pics.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.