Hermit Crabs and SPS

Hi Everyone!

I'm just wondering how many SPS keepers out there keep hermit crabs in their DTs? I've just started keeping SPS corals (I bought a few large frags) and notice that the hermit crabs in my tank are on them all the time. I've tried putting the offending hermits in the sump, but they are replaced by others within hours.

The frags they like the most are my pink birds nest and a colour-tipped acro. They don't bother the montis.

Should I pull the crabs? I've got about 60 in a 120 tank. If so, what should I replace them with?

If I increase the flow on the frags (by diverting my returns on them) will the crabs leave them alone?

Thanks!
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

liv
    never had that particular prob.. i have always kept crabs.
    are you sure they are bothering the sps ? they could be cleaning the frags from excess algea ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

thats what i'm wondering........ hermits have a tendency to scour any new additions to the tank for tasty bits.

are they hurting the SPS or just cleaning it???

what species of hermits do you have??

crabs are inherently evil, it's not their fault, just nature.

as for a replacement option, what else do have for a CUC???
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks for the quick response.

The acro frag has only been in for two weeks, so it's possible they are cleaning it. There appears to be full polyp extension, so maybe they aren't bugging it that much. The colour has yet to return to the tips, but I attribute this to acclimatization not harrassment.... I could very well be wrong. (I'm dosing 2-part with two peristaltic pumps and Calcium is 420 and Alk is 9.3 all other parameters are within acceptable ranges or undetectable and have been for about 6 months)

Are hermits known for cleaning SPS?

They are blue leg hermit crabs. They started small, but some have gotten quite large, courtesy of some old snail shells. I recently moved a number of big guys to the sump and replaced them with 25 small ones.

Other CUC: 1 Scarlet shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, 40-50 assorted snails (cerith, nassarius, trochus, astrea, tectus), random little sea stars.

Sounds like I should not be too worried... I'll keep an eye on things. I just moved the acro to a very high flow area, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks!
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

if you wanted to replace them, i would suggest a serpent ( not green ) / brittle star, one at first but maybe two in time, depending on need.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTack View Post
    Are hermits known for cleaning SPS?

blue legs like to meet up and clean specific spots and something new always attracts their attention. i don't think they're doing any harm but just keep an eye on them.

i like to keep a few hermits, they'll eat stuff that others in the CUC wont.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I noticed yesterday that algae was accumulating on the acro (and then read that will happen when they are in the return flow), and consequently the number of crabs on it increased. I think they are cleaning it... I've since diverted the flow, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the star advice. I may add one instead of a new crop of hermits next time.

Every now and then I notice the odd crab hanging out on top of my giant yellow birds nest coral. I just go in with a prong and send him flying to the bottom when I notice he's there too long, but i've got quite a few hermits and they don't seem to bother my sps'. And they've never touched any of my monti's either. They bug my finger leather a lot more.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse