Sump/Overflow Maintenance?

I'm just wondering what if any maintenance you do on your overflows and sumps? I've been up and running for almost 7 months and have lots of sponges, tubeworms and other stuff (some aptasia which the peppermint shrimp control in the DT) growing in both. Should I add a major sump/overflow clean and scrape to my schedule? I have a refugium in the sump, it's bare bottomed with a huge hunk of chaeto and some live rock.

So far I've only been wiping down the glass on the sump and siphoning detritus off the bottom when I do water changes. I perform maintenance on everything in the sump (pumps, heaters, skimmer etc).

What do you do?

Thanks!
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

sounds like you have everything covered.

i do the same, syphoning out the sump and refugium as necessary, during water changes. when you say scrap the sump, is it just coralline or other stuff??

if my fuge gets too bad, i'll shut it off, syphon out all the water, rinsing the LR / chaeto as i go ( keeping submerged as much as possible ). then vacuum out the sump ( wet vac ), fill and replace the LR / chaeto and turn back on. i syphon the water into a large container to keep the LR in until the fuge is clean again, then drain the container.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    cleaning out the sump from tubeworms is unnecessary.. as they are filter feeders and help with filtration. also, keep the aiptasia in your sump, they are quite the cleaners too. some people use aiptasia scrubbing zones just for that purpose. we remove aiptasia from our tanks because they are unsightly.. but in the sump they are perfect candidates.

I clean the heaters and strainers with vinagar when I see they are dirty.. not on a regular basis.. but probebly once every 4-5 weeks. I do check daily for clogged strainers and at the same time check the skimmer and piping.

I dont syphon out anything from the sump, I use snails, crabs and sea stars to take care of that.

as for my coast to coast overflow, I scrub the glass with a toothbrush to remove the algea formation and keep the flow optimal. I also added some snails and crabs in that area to help keeps things clean.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I have an under the tank sump/refugium that contains a benthic zone, and is highly comprised of cheato in one section, and caulerpa in the other. Cleaning my sump is not even an option with how jam packed it is. I simply rely on the existing tiny snails, worms, starfish, pods, and whatever else is lurking down there to clean up what they can that my skimmer doesn't get. I do not have any normal sized crabs or snails down there, for I feel it's not worth the extra headaches they may cause in interferring with all the mechanical gadgets. I keep filter covers/nets clear, collection cup cleaned twice, or once a week. Aggressively prune caulerpa every week or two. Also prune cheato every week or two. Both grow insanely fast.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Thanks guys!

Sounds like all is well and I don't have to plan a massive sump/overflow clean.

Liv, thanks for the aptasia comment. I'd read of some people draining overflows and letting them dry out, but I'd also hear they were good filters (and I think they're kinda pretty), so didn't really know what to do. I'll leave them be.
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

liv
    ya... beautiful animals for sure bud.
    I've seen some guys actually making aiptasia a display tank.. they had absolutely taken over.. looked awesome.. if you like that sort of stuff.

I leave them be in the sump, and people like to see different types of anemones, I show them the aiptasia and the rbta.. they find them equally cool.
    specially when I touch the aiptasia and it retracts in a 1/4 of a sec.. they are all like WOW, didn't think they moved that fast .. he he

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30