Smile New guy from Fredericton.

Hey guys, my name is Mat and im from Fredericton NB. Im definately new to the scene but have been an avid diver since I was 14. I dove off many of the worlds reefs and cant wait to bring a small piece of the ocean to my home! This site was referred to me by a few people I met at the local pet store and it seems to have a great group of helpful people as well as a wealth of information.
    Im very eager to get started but all I have thusfar is a 77 gal tank /w stand and an idea of a few fish I would like. I definately want a reef-tank but anything past that and im not too sure. Money is not really an issue, i just want whats best for the fish and invertebrates. I understand that this sort of thing takes time and patience, but I really wanna get the ball moving! Im just curious as to the best filters,lighting,corals etc thats best.

ijo
    Welcome to AC!! TheAtua!!

Some of the more common questions members will be asking you are:

1) What type of corals and fish do you plan to hold?

2) If you plan on keeping some of the tougher corals(sps) have you thought about getting a sump plumbed to your main tank?

3) Do you have a water filter? (RO/DI?)

4) Are you on a budget? many say money is not an option but do not realize there is no limit. You can sink a ton of money into this hobby making it as expensive and/or complicated as you can imagine. Knowing how much you plan on spending now... with the option to upgrade in the future is good to know.

liv
    welcome to AC

Ivan just said it right.. your 77g could cost well over 5-10k if you take some of the top of the line equipment. it really doesn't have to be that expensive and if you like diy stuff, then much much cheaper

one of the best things you can get is a good protein skimmer. put money aside for that.. probebly in the 4-500$ minimum to get something you will be happy with. then lighting.. that starts at a few hundred to thousands depending on what you want to keep and how you want it to look.

Is you tank drilled ? if not, get that drilled.. no point in starting a reef tank without drilling it.. then add a large sump under it.. the bigger the sump the better.. I have a bigger sump then a main tank its easier and leaves you more room to do stuff..

tell us what you want to keep, ( corals, fish ) and that will tell us what you want. ex: reef or fish only with live rock, aggressive tank etc.

so.. dont be afraid to ask all your questions... there are no silly questions

cheers,
    LIV

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks! alright here goes..

1) For coral, I'd like Sun Coral,Pulse Coral,Atlantic Anemone,Ritteri Anemone,Red Tree Sponge. I also like Flame scallop and Blue Clam. The fish Im looking at are all reef-dwellers like clowns,gramma's,Goby's and firefish. Nothing too big to start.

2) I would like a sump installed but am unsure of the cost of doing so.

3)No filters of any sort yet, just the tank itself really. Again im unsure of whats best as there seems to be a large variety in quality and cost.

4)Haha good point, well I would like to spend around 3k to start within the first year and I will see how it turns out from there. I am passionate about starting this up and would love to see it turn into a lifelong hobby.

Im basically on here because though I can get a general idea from the staff at the local pet-shop, it seems im more likely to find the real enthusiasts on a site like this. Again, im incredibly new but thats why im here :b16:

to Aquaria Canada

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtua View Post
    1) For coral, I'd like Sun Coral,Pulse Coral,Atlantic Anemone,Ritteri Anemone,Red Tree Sponge. I also like Flame scallop and Blue Clam. The fish Im looking at are all reef-dwellers like clowns,gramma's,Goby's and firefish. Nothing too big to start.

stay away from the atlantic anemone ( Stichodactyla helianthus ), they have a very strong sting and usually eat any fish they can catch ( including clowns )

you should wait at least 6 moths for the tank to mature before adding nay sensitive invertebrates. ( anemones / clams / etc..... )

flame scallops are filter feeders and will require multiple daily feedings of phytoplankton to have a long term chance of survival. IMO these guys are best left in the ocean.

2) I would like a sump installed but am unsure of the cost of doing so.
    relatively low. you'll need to have your tank drilled ( if not already ), then install and overflow box / sump / refugium and some plumbing and you're on your way. the cost is well worth it and not installing a sump is one of the biggest regrets most first time reefers have.

the exact how and more can be discussed as we go along and collect more info ......

where is the system being installed??

do you have a cabinet or are you building etc.....??

3)No filters of any sort yet, just the tank itself really. Again im unsure of whats best as there seems to be a large variety in quality and cost.
    good to hear you haven't bought a filter. in SW reefs we do not use any mechanical filtration ( canisters / etc... ), instead we rely on the LR and sandbeds for all biological filtration and the CUC ( Clean Up Crew ) to handle the larger stuff. occasionally some will use a filter sock or similar to help remove particulate matter but it has to be cleaned very frequently or troubles will arise ( trapped food breaks down and increases nitrates / phosphates ).

HTH, and keep asking questions
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Welcome to AquariaCanada!
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Yeah good call on the Atlantic Anemone, my source neglected to mention that about them. Im sure there are many others that are suitable. To tell you the truth I just liked the fact you can see the static electricity charge off the flame scallop, but again they did not mention its feeding habits. Waiting 6 months or so isnt really a problem, this sort of thing does require a bit of patience
    Getting a sump from what im told is very advantageous, though the tank I baught doesnt leave alot of room for one ( Fluval Osaka 260 Tank kit ) I imagine I can try and jimmy rig something up but it'll be a small one for sure. I'll see if speedy or apple can drill it out possibly.
    The tank will be in my den, away from my plasma and sound system. The shelving unit comes with the Osaka so I suppose im good to go in that regard. The Filter im looking at is the new Fluval G6, I have it waiting for me at the shop, to my knowledge there is not much better than that one. I definately will pick up a protien skimmer as well. I had much of these things explained to me in length but still very much learning. What are your thoughts?

BTW Liv, your aquarium design is intense, I definately want to see the end result!

I just checked it out online. The Osaka tank & stand is a nice looking setup. (did you get the light as well?) Unfortunately, as you noted, the stand is not conducive to using a sump. You really don't need the filter - the live rock and organisms in the tank will take care of the filtration.

If you're meticulous in your husbandry and keep up with your water changes, you can make do without a sump or a skimmer. There are some beautiful tanks on Reef Central that have done just that. However, I'm willing to bet that you'll wish that you had both. I know that I started out skimmerless and sumpless and now have both. It would have been so much easier to start off with the sump.

I couldn't find out any info on the lighting that comes with the Osaka system. If you did get it, what type of light is it?

Welcome to AquariaCanada

Welcome to AquariaCanada! This site is chaulk full of great information, helpful suppliers and great supportive members. Obviously your diving experience will help during your aquascaping. My last vacation I snorkeled in Jamaica and this has affected my general layout of my 140 gallon set-up. My only suggestion is to buy quality products that will both meet your needs today but also as you upgrade (believe me, you will upgrade). Have fun and enjoy!:b6:

liv
    he he yup.. upgrades are inevitable :b2:
    and part of the fun of the hobby.

totally agree with Blakes, I dived in Jamaica too..AWESOME !!
    diving many different reefs you always try to set this up somehow at home.. the lack of tank size is the main issue he he.
    I once sat in a patch of zoos the size of a small car.... sooo beautiful!!

warning.. this hobby is addictive.. very

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30