Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anemones

Question Anemones

I had an 8" circumference Ritterri anemone that I have had for over 4 months that I had to give to the LFS for credit because it started moving in the tank. For over 4 months I had it in a platform rock about 8 inches from the surface right under the centre 250 W MH and it never moved. It would just go left or right on the rock and stay there. 2 weeks ago it decided to go down from the rock and because of it's size it was just going to leave a massive path of destruction in the tank so I had to give it up. My 2 true perculas (2 1/2") now look so lost in the tank without it and they are now parked right on my yellow tip torch. They are too rough and I'm afraid they are going to kill the torch.
    My question is what kind of anemone is less prone to moving? I was thinking of getting either a RBTA or a purple tip LTA. Will my clowns host on either one? Also, anyone know an LFS where I can get them?

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    IMO i dont think there's a nem that you can guarrentee wont move to find a place where its happy. sometimes they stay put for months, years, but there is always the chance that they will move.:b1:

Question Anemones

upthecreekwithoutapaddle

I hear you. The only problem with mine was it was so big. I was thinking that maybe with a smaller one without such a big spread I can at least move my other corals out of the way.

powder18

try carpet lol, anyway he's that right all anemone moves all around until they found a place to stick around for a few months and then start to touch all its tank mate until you loose one by one by stingin its tenticles. anyway i find that LTA too & rbta its same, one of my co-worker he's got huge rbta on top of he's 90 g with sps seems just staying in one place since he brought that in his tank until now. the problem that he is facing right rbta its growing fast than other anemone one of his superman sp, half the body its tottally damaged. its nice though but you know you just need more open space for this anemone. i've got purple LTA huge really big got no problem right now, apparently i don't see it infront of my tank, its right we're you can't see it at the back of my landscape or my LR's lol. its hosting with my true perc & onyx. i'd just switch to 14k poenix 250w oh boy the color was really amazing:b2:. i'd find this lta it moves around but only in the bottom part of your tank, not lta this retteri magnifica or rbta those anemone movese everywhere in your tank. i don't know if your from ottawa our local lps store here mscape they've got 30gal tank display and its got huge green lta hosting with 2 skunk clown. they say its been there since they open the store and its same place were infront of the tank didn't even move though. so i guess lta most likely the best to keep in your tank.:b2:

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manster View Post
    upthecreekwithoutapaddle

I hear you. The only problem with mine was it was so big. I was thinking that maybe with a smaller one without such a big spread I can at least move my other corals out of the way.
    yeh i had a seabe that outgrew the tank and gave it to the LFS for their huge display.
    replaced it with a two inch carpet that i purchased when it was 2"
    had it six months now and it has never moved. feed it every 2 or three days thinking if its happy it wont move. Now its growing about 1" per month. so soon i will have to upgrade or get rid of it...but yes i have learned my lesson. if i dont upgrade hes the last!:b9:

Question Anemones

Powder18; upthecreekwithoutapaddle;

Yes, they are definitely a pita! I'm still debating whether to get an LTA or RBTA but I definitely have to do something. My yellow torch is starting to look a bit rough from the 2 perculas.

liv
    I've had rbtas in my old tank.. were model citizens.. I put an rbta in my new tank.. has been nothing bus desaster.. within a few hours they end up in the mp40w's.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Question Anemones

liv

Sorry to hear you're not having much luck with these guys too. Just wondering, when you had the model citizens, what kind of environment were they on? Top, Middle or Bottom of tank? Light, medium or intense flow? In your new tank, how far away were they from the MP40s? Did they travel a long distance to get to the MP40s? Also, when they moved, did they move along the bottom or climbed up on the rocks or glass?
    In your opinion, which one is more likely to travel and do the worst damage, the LTA or the BTA?

liv
    when they were model citizens, they were on the top top of the live rock sitting ~1foot from the edge of the water under 3x 400w 10k's mh. + actinics.

how far were they from the mp40w's.. 4feet away.
    they attached for a few hours and seemed really attached good.. then within minutes they would detach and find themselfs in the mp40w's.

I think the ones that are most likely to travels are bta's. my carpet didn't move 1" in 2-3years I had it.
    If I get another one, i'll get a carpet I think.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

powder18

occasionally all anemone moves around until it finds a place for them to stick around for a few months or more than that depends on food resources it could get them . my purple lta this one when i got it, actually it did stay infront my tank now its hiding at the back of my tank which is this lta was doing great opening very wide during day time. if your getting anemone i would say lta i mean this one it only moves at the bottom part of your tank, bta it travels a lot until it stingin all your corals. my choice is lta atleast wouldn't move far from top of your tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast