noisy tank question

I have a 180 gallon tank that has two overflow boxes. Both have "DURSO" pipes that are noisy. The Durso pipes came with the tank so I assume that they are okay. They are adjusted so that the overflow is initiated close to the top of the return

Water is pumped by a Coralife 1740 P via "1" pipe and is returned by TWO "1" pipes to my sump one floor down in the basement. I have tried submerging the return pipes in the sump and have also let them discharge above the sump.

Anybody with plumbing knowledge able to tell me if I should have larger return pipes from the tank to the sump?

People with sumps in the basements: What setup are you using?

I had no idea that this tank would make such a noise!

Thanks for any input/ideas

liv
    the sound usually is from 2 things the return pipes ( the end that goes in the sump ) is touching water.. creating a syphon. the other one is a syphon from either a bad setup of the air line or a air hole that is much too small.

Recently I had to replace two durso pipes for a friend and we drilled much much bigger holes.. total silence in seconds

if you can, record the sound and show us how its plumbed to the sump and inside..

cheers !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

After doing a minor D&C including dilating the air holes and scraping the gunk from the unit, it is running a lot quieter.

Thanks liv!
    (you would think that the manufacturer would have made the correct size holes for the durso)

liv
    np glad i can help.
    he he.. ya, I said the exact same thing to my friend.. lol
    I'm thinking they didn't expect the type of flow we are pushing through... or it could be simple incompetance on their part.. lol.. we'll never know. he he

or small bulkheads super cheap
    300g reef system

liv
    ya.. jeez.. that was too funny.. a schedule zero bulkhead.. lol.. never again! hi hi hi

My durso pipes are a lot quieter now (thanks liv) but I am STILL not 100% quiet-so I have considered what the sound I am hearing so as to fix it. This is what I have come up with.
    The sound that I hear is WATER and AIR in the pipes similiar to a toilet flushing. If I eliminated the air than it would probably be quieter (similiar to water supply to our homes-silent but has volume). This is my idea that I am hoping those with plumbing knowledge can critique or perhaps advance the concept....
    I have TWO 1 inch drains going from my tank to my sump in the basement. The first one is about one inch lower(random guestimate) in the tank compared to the other. The distal end is submerged into my sump (red flag) creating a true siphon. I put a VALVE onto this drain(second red flag)and slow the flow of this drain to about 95% of the flow entering the tank from my pump. This allows the pipe to remain full at all times.(= silent pipe!)
    (I acknowledge that both "RED FLAGS" are big taboos in the industry).

The second one inch drain will easily handle the remaining 5% of water supplied from the pump plus any other incidental flow.

...Hey it is just a thought that I had- anybody else think it might work?

liv
    ok.. I think you need to lower the hose coming out of the drains a bit.
    be careful about doing this as it will slow down the flow. but will possibly stop the noise too. also, if its hard line, consider changing all that for spaflex ( flex pvc ) not to be confused with clear vynil crap.

I think doing both of these changes will kill that sound even more.
    cheers !

Thanks liv...
    So you think that the concept (I am sure it needs to be refined a bit) has potential? I admit that I do not know anything behind the science of plumbing...but that won't stop me.

The top of my durso pipe is removable and it adjusts to water height easily. All I need to do is add a valve at the distal end of #1 drain (SIPHON) and slowly reduce the flow.... Unfortunately I am working the next couple of days so it will have to wait.

I'll let you know how it went.