Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange Mounds on Sand bed

In the last few weeks I've noticed some mounds forming on my sand bed. It would appear they are being formed by some kinds of sea star as there are tens of teeny-tiny orange/yellow and black/brown legs coming out of them. The largest mound is about the size of a golf ball and another has developed about three inches away. I've not poked around the mounds yet as I was waiting to see if a nassarius would disturb one, but no such luck.

Any ideas what these might be? Should I be concerned?

My tank is 9 months old and all parameters are within normal ranges.

Oh, and I watched at night and nothing seemed to go on then, just like during the day.

Thanks
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

liv
    never seen this myself, but here's a few thoughts:
    if could be that your sand is solidifying due to ph and it makes clumps like that. or a type of algea or could be sea stars like you say.

can you try and take a pic of that shape.. sounds real interesting !!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

My camera went on vacation without me and won't be back until Sunday... It's also not an SLR, so the pics are going to be of poor quality. Regardless, I'll take some then and post them.

The sand solidifying thing is neat. That may be happening in a few other spots. Does this make the sand look like used, clumping cat litter? There are a few little spots like this. My ph is 8.24 and has been for months.

Thanks,
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

I wrote a response to this post yesterday morning, but it never appeared... this is the second time this has happened to me....

Anyway,,, I wrote that my camera is on vacation without me and will be back tomorrow. I'll try to get a pic then. It's not an SLR though, so we'll see what we get.

Oh, and the clumping, does this make the sand look like used clumping cat litter? I've got a few little bits of that. My ph is around 8.23 and has been for months.

Thanks.

pH is fine

have you touched one yet?? it may look a little like cat litter if there is detritus and stuff mixed in with it
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

The funniest thing happened! My camera came back from vaction as an SLR!! Must have been some trip...

Here are some pics of the mound. I tried to get a pic of the little legs sticking out.

It's definitely a sea star of some kind. When I went digging around today it just receded into the sand. So, is it one star or many? What kind?

Oh, and the cat litter clumps are very small (smaller than a popped kernel of popcorn) and only number two or three.

Here are the pics. This is my first attempt at posting pics, so it's bound to not work...

liv
    LOL for the SLR happened to me too recently he he

as for the mounds.. pretty cool stuff. and love those legs sticking out.
    i'm not 100% sure but looks like a type of algea.. are the legs moving ? ( like unnaturally using not the current ? ) I searched around the net quickly but can't find a similar algea.. interesting stuff for sure.... could be some kind of invert you got there he he

i'm tempted to say scoop it up with a net and drop it in a glass to watch comes out or leave it be and study some more :b2: if you got a few.. he he

The legs move around looking for food. A few times I've seen it/them catch brine or pellet foods that come within range and try to retract with it (then the hermits steal it before it gets 'home').

Love the idea to scoop one up. I have at least three mounds. There may only be two come this time tomorrow...;-)

stay tuned.

Maybe some type of tube anemone?

liv
    probebly fan worms like these...

or

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast