Noise on Fluval canister pump

I have a 304 Fluval canister pump on a newly set up 90G saltwater tank with about 20LBS LR (waiting to add more in days to come) with 2 damsel running around. The pump was used one and has started making loud noise in the propeller compartment. I did tilt and tried my best to get rid of any air in the propeller area. Still makes more noise than it used to. Does it mean the propeller shaft needs replacement? or the pump itself needs to be changed. Annoying to hear that clicking/humming noise ..... any suggestions?

liv
    clean it up, still makes the sounds, inspect the propeller/magnet piece and shaft. usually its the propeller that goes on these.

why are you running a fluval canister filter on a saltwater tank ?
    unless your running carbon only, they will become pollution factories.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

checked it

well i have carbon and ceramic rings ... i wish i could have a sump but the stand i have wouldnt accomodate a sump. I guess when i have enough LR in the tank and when the tank is cycled...the fluval will be just for water circulation. I have thought of changing the stand and adding a sump but as always....funds limit my craving/desires...lol

Have taken apart and cleanded it. Nothing is clogged and the propeller has all its blades intact.

Do you think i can go totally on LR (when i have added more may be another 50lbs) without the fluval?

liv
    the fluval is useless in my mind and carbon is not necessary to be run all the time.. only on a set schedule or when needed.

put powerheads in the tank for circulation and put as much LR as you can find/afford. keep an eye open on our classifieds, always someone getting out of the hobby trying to get rid of his for cheap.

it took me a long time to accumulate the 800lbs i had ( recently sold ~250lbs ) literally ~1.5years.. I got all my rocks from the classifieds, from tons of folks.

get some flatworm exit and nuke the rock before you put it in your tank and would should do fine. I usually bough like 20-30lbs every 2 weeks ( on pay day he he ) I grew tired of carrying the rocks so I quit buying some. But it was great fun just collecting it.. I kind of miss it... he he

liv
    some people run skimmerless, but i do not recommend it for the beginner.
    just because I know that most beginners love fish... and fish have bioloads.

so its worth saving up to get a nice big skimmer for your tank, probebly one of the best investments ( other then LR, circulation and lighting ) that can be made on a saltwater system.

Hope this helps

Nuke???????

[QUOTE
    get some flatworm exit and nuke the rock before you put it in your tank and would should do fine. [/QUOTE]

What do you mean by nuke?? Microwave it??

liv
    sorry..
    flatworm exit is a product to kill (nuke) flatworms he he.

when you buy live rock, put it in a container with water, and quadruple the recommended dosage of the product.. put a powerhead in there, keep the product in there for 3hours then drain.. that should kill any ( if any ) in there.

its just a safe precaution to take

got more LR

Bought some LR today about 25lbs...( my friday night out ...awcchhhh!) But the tank look much better and pretty. Couldnt resist when i saw coral beauty for $15 and 6line Wase...! I will upload photos soon!

Thank you for all your input. I check here more than my email :b7:!