Thread: ID please

Question ID please

I was having a look at the tank last night (to try find the animal that's turning my rocks to dust) with a torch and I saw a shrimp of sorts. It had a 1 cm long red body (the same color as the algae), 3 very long legs at the back on either side and 2 really long feelers. There was also another one with 2 babies in tow, herding them along....Amazing to watch...scary to think what's growing in there sometimes...
    I couldn't get a shot in the dark as the camouflage was too good and by the time I'd fiddled with the settings on the camera she was gone....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tough to say...That description could be many shrimp. Pistol shrimps are the most common stowaways on live rock and corals. The colour and leg/feeler description are consistent with a pistol. If it's a pistol, they do nest in the gravel and haul small rocks from all over the tank to make a home usually in the gravel. They also excavate using they're tail which can produce quite a bit of dust.
    Can you tell if it has one bigger claw and one smaller?
    Do you ever hear a snapping noise coming from the tank? Pistol shrimp will snap thier one big claw as a warning to other animals as well as to stun them.
    Unfortunately, my level of computer sophistication doesn't allow me to post a photo of a pistol shrimp, hopefully someone else will...
    Pistols are almost always benign, and as you said, very interesting to watch.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I do hear a snapping noise occasionally and it's not the same sound or consistency as a Mantis, It's got this entire network going on in the rock it's claimed, and a brood too.....
    I also just saw the biggest crab ever, I think it may have killed "Da Craw" my cross-eyed dopey crab hitchhiker. I would be about 4cm big with brown and white stripes and furry legs and fingernails on the end of the legs, that's how big it is I saw fingernails, (could do with a manicure), Keep or Kill? I don't want to put my hands in there at the moment:eek4:
    Also I saw about 4-5 little green shrimp things too....to small to photograph. Sort of wiggling about..
    I'll do a google on pistol's now.
    Thanks.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

ijo
    Here is a picture of one fishysan uploaded a while back...

To help you figure out what you have in there... Pistol shrimp are known to click once or twice and the mantis will click multiple times. hope this helps.

IJO

Ok..Hmm.. Put the long legs at the back and remove the big claw, and make it a deep deep red.....

This color, but not this species.

Well, It's my experiance that any animal in a reef that can't take care of its own nails is baaaad news!!.. Seriously, though, any crab I could remove, I would. They are about as strong as the terminator and have the same inclination towards nicely aquascaped tanks. In no time he'll be as big as a house and knocking on your glass, saying: 'you talkin' to me??' Get him out when he is small. Put him in your sump, if you have one- or someone else's sump......
    As for the little shrimpy things, I wouldn't worry. Generally, almost everything in there is good.
    I'm still not sure about the original shrimp question, it also sort of sounds like a peppermint shrimp, maybe. Hmmm..
    Matt.

Thanks I'll bribe my b/f to remove another crab, this takes the tally to 17 crabs in 2 years....Do they ever go away???

That is one SERIOUS case of crabs.. I've never heard of so many in one tank. Thats quite amazing- I've also never really heard of them reproducing in a tank...I can only assume your valiant hero will vanquish them soon... (sorry, Lord of the Rings on my mind...)
    Matt.

Heh....I tell my b/f I have crabs again.....Heh, Heh.....Ok bad joke..
    I found another so it's 18 now..Do'h..
    My dad helped me remove the monster crab, and he got a shock at the size of it.
    Here's a good pic of the cross-eyed crab eating.
    Anyone know why they're multiplying in my tank??????