Exclamation Fish Jumping problem

Is there another thing to use to prevent fish from jumping out? I have lost 3 fish in the last 6 months due to their jumping out through the holes in the egg crate (Candy Cane Hogfish and a Flame Hawk), and the other day I lost a $120.00 4" Blue Spotted jawfish that I had waited 3 months for!

ijo
    wow... usually eggcrate will contain the fish in your tank pretty good. What is causing your fish to jump so much?

IJO

Powder18

I used window screen to cover up my tank it happens to many times infact a few months ago I lost my bluespot too.

liv
    one thing you can do, if you dont like the shading the window crate does is to build a wall around the top of the tank about 12" high is about enough.. just like as if you were building a light hood.. but it doesn't have to be closed in.. you could then, above the lights put egg crate.. so stilll have the warm air expell easily enough.. but keep those fishies in

hope this helps.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by manster View Post
    Is there another thing to use to prevent fish from jumping out? I have lost 3 fish in the last 6 months due to their jumping out through the holes in the egg crate (Candy Cane Hogfish and a Flame Hawk), and the other day I lost a $120.00 4" Blue Spotted jawfish that I had waited 3 months for!
    Blue Spotted Jawfish need a sealed canopy above the tank. They will jump through anything. You aren't the first if that makes you feel better :b16:

Question Fish Jumping

IJO
    It has just been the 3 known jumpers and in the case of the Candy Cane Hogfish and the Flame Hawk, they were both in the tank for about 3 months. The Blue Spotted Jawfish was only overnight.

Powder18
    I feel for you too. I have replaced the fish with a slightly smaller one (3") after I installed the fibreglass screen over the egg crate.

liv
    Unfortunately, this won't work with my setup.

mhosts
    I have since installed fibreglass screen over the egg crate. There is a slight difference in the light intensity but better than losing fish.

I just ordered 1/4" clear screen netting from Bulk Reef Supply and made an awesome cover using other materials purchased at Home Depot for $40. Check out their DIY Screen Top video.

You may be able to find the netting from a Canadian vendor or pond supply store, but I couldn't find the 1/4" netting...
    120g Display + 40g Sump/Refugium; Vertex In-250; 2xMP40w with battery BU; 2x250w HQI LumenMax Elite w/ 14K bulbs; IceCap ballasts; 6x24w Aqua Medic T5s w/ 420/460nm lamps; Mag 12 Return; Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor; 2xPeristaltic dosing pumps for two-part

I used 1/4" plastic chicken wire from Crappy Tire and some window screen framing...