Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Tank Setup - Advise Needed!!

Hello everyone,

Just joined here today and thought I would put everyone's knowledge of salt water tanks to use here. I have run my freshwater tank for years now and am bored stiff of it. I am now venturing into the salt water setup.

I went to a local shop (Big Al's in Kitchener) to find out what I need to get started and have been told to get the following items:

- 75 gallon tank ($257.79) w/ stand ($263.36). I will be using an under-the-tank setup.
    - 1 - AL 48" 2 x 54w T5 SW Link lighting ($178.70)
    - Custom sump tank that they are making for me. ($211.64)
    - 1 - SP Mag Drive 9.5 pump ($141.08)
    - 1 - CoralLife Super Skimmer 125 Gal w/ pump ($253.96)
    - 2 - Koralia Evolution 750 ($94.06)

That will be my main setup. As you can see it is quite pricey ($1,400.00) which is why I thought I would get some expert opinions on the quality of the skimmers and pumps, etc. I also do not want to be taken advantage of so the more knowledge I have the better. I have done tons of reading and checked online reviews but more is always better!

Lastly, I will be needing about 80 lbs of live rock and I know they want WAY too much for it and would like to see if anyone has any for sale that they can ship to Kitchener. I would prefer it being cured all ready but I am willing to put in the time if necessary.

Thank you.

Derek

Additional Info

Sorry, I forgot to mention the it will be a FOWLR setup for now until I am ready to move to a Coral tank as well. Should I update my lighting right away for a coral tank or leave it as is until I am ready to move in that direction?

liv
    for the lighting.. if you go with a coral setup right away its cheaper for sure in the long run... but depends how long before you change.. if its a mather of months, wait and get the proper lighting now, if you are talking years ( 1-2 ) the prices will go down and technology will be better then, so i would get regular lights if that were the case.

i'm not too familiar with the coralife skimmers... the mag pump 9.5 is a great pump.. if kept clean, it will last for years. koralia pumps are also good.
    I have some LR.. but not really willing to ship.. too much trouble sorry.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    Oh.. and welcome to Aquaria Canada :b2:

.. I believe we have a few sponsors in your neck of the woods..
    might want to compare with them those prices and setup options

Some of those prices seem a tad steep to me. A 75G at Big Al's here in Ottawa is $129-ish, last time I was in there, they were on sale for $109. These tanks aren't drilled. I paid $25 per hole to get mine drilled-and each hole came with a bulkhead. You could build yourself a great stand for $263 in materials. As for the sump, you could pick up a used 40B or 30L for under $50. Another $25-30 for glass baffles and you have yourself a custom sump.

I haven't used the Coralife skimmers, but from what I've read, they aren't the greatest. One of our Sponsors - Blakes, I believe, has a sale on Octopus skimmers. Less money and a much better skimmer.

The Koralias are great PH's. 2X750 won't be enough for a reef, though. I'd get the 1400's (I have 2x1400 and 2xKoralia 1 in my 75G)

As for lighting, if you can afford it, I'd go with a reef-suitable fixture right off the bat. It will save you the hassle of upgrading later on.

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. If I move up from the 750's to 1400's does that mean I also need a larger Mag Drive?

liv
    isn't your mag drive for driving the sump ?
    doesn't have anything to do with your 750's
    but i'm with Rybren, get the bigger Koralias now.

Yah sorry... Info overload here. LOL. I've been filling my head with everything for the past week now. I will upgrade for sure. I actually found the 1400's online for the same price as what I was quoted for the 750's so I think I will go that route.

Still up in the air with this whole skimmer though. I was checking the reviews on the CoralLife and it is not looking so good. Lots of people are having problems with the overflow on it.

I have contacted Blake though and will hopefully go with the Octopus. Looks like there are a lot of good reviews on it. I guess I just worry about setting everything up properly... The OCT-DNW-150 is what I am looking at. It says it requires being plumbed into the overflow or needs a pump... I do have a sump setup so does it get installed directly into that or do I need a pump, and if so, what type would you use for this unit? Am I driving everyone crazy yet? hehehe...

Thanks,

Derek

I have the Octopus 110 recirculating version (I forget the model #) It can be run either in-sump or externally. I orginally bought it for my 30G with no sump and is now running on my 75G+35G sump. It pulls out a lot of gunk, but I would rather have the 150. I've run mine both internally or externally with no difference in performance. It's currently being run externally because I don't have a lot of room under my stand, but I have room behind the stand.

It can be fed either directly from the overflow or via a small pump from the sump. Mine is fed by a MJ900 from the sump.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That does help. I am going to purchase that unit and see how I make out with that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast