Just getting started!!!

Hey guys! I just started and am looking for any advice you can give me. I started my cycling about a week ago and am watching my tests. Anybody got any tips?

liv
    welcome to aquaria canada :b2:

tell us about your system/setup.. and post some pics

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    welcome to aquaria canada :b2:

tell us about your system/setup.. and post some pics
    Well, I am running a 37.5g tank with 15g sump under the main display. I also have a Lee's protein skimmer and probably about 70lbs of LR in DT and sump for filtration. I am running two powerheads, one in either corner aimed towards the middle of the tank. I'm trying to figure out what kind of lighting to get. I want a reef tank so I do understand that I am going to need some crazy lighting. I'm looking at a MH/PC combo with lunar lighting all in the same hood.

My Levels are looking like this.
    Ammonia - 0.25ppm
    Nitrate - 20ppm
    Nitrite - 1ppm
    pH - 7.9

Lighting

Welcome to this great hobby.

Lighting is one of the most important aspects of your set-up. You mentioned that you will be housing corals and depending on what type will determine the light required. I have tried power compacts, they are okay but limited. Draw backs are: limited coral selection:b13:, expensive bulbs:b12: & varying quality:b1:. I presently run two 72" power compact fixtures that each run 4x96w bulbs and I'am not satisfied with their output at all. My bulbs cost me $50-$80.00 each pending bulb type. I will be replacing these two units with one 60" 8x80w ATi Powermodule light fixture next month. I have sold these light fixtures for a while now and have found no faults with them. I would recommend starting off with a high quality fixture such as an ATi, at the beginning, to eliminate frustration in the future (I wish I had).

The key to this hobby is have fun, research everything and ask lots of questions.

All the best!

I agree PCs for the most part suck. Go with quaility T5s and in a shallow tank like yours you will be able to keep corals easily.

Good to see you aren't looking to skimp on the lighting. I'd say go with LED's
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    if you got the budget, led's are the way to go now, finished replacing bulbs, cheaper on hydro.
    if you still got to cut on the budget, some nice t5ho's still do an awesome job at a great price.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30