Going shopping for cube in a couple of hours have some questions

Hello, I am new to this forum and as new as you can get to marine aquariums although I did keep freshwater aquariums for years and have a koi pond out back although itís only goldfish this year.

Today I am going out to (hopefully) purchase a nano or bio cube between 15-30 gallons. Presuming that comes with lights, pump, filter and perhaps fan. I know I then need, water, salt, heater. Now I also know I need to cycle the tank and that some raw shrimp will speed that up. What about live rock if I was to get some today could I put that in while the tank cycles or should I wait until the tank is cycled before adding it. And should I get some live sand now?

Oh and I know I need test kits too, is there anything I am forgetting for the very first setup of marine?

Sorry for so many questions but I hate looking like a total dummy in the stores, it better to look like total dummy online lol. Also I have read a lot, spent most of yesterday reading/researching so I have bits and pieces of the answers but there is SO much I just thought it might be easier to get all my info in one spot because itís like my head is a huge jumble of info right now and what I read for one setup might not apply to what I am trying to do if you know what I mean.

Thanks

I think I found the most important bit of what I need for now and will just leave it here so I can find it easily in case I forget as I am leaving now. Quite excited and it will seem the trip to town will take forever.

This 29g that you have is brand new correct? What have you done so far? Live rock should be added after you put the sand in. Wait for it to cycle and then do a water change.

Once amonia, nitrite, nitrate reads zero you are done the cycle.

powder18

i know one of the guy here in ottawa, his a ovas member. his got 36gal solana tank its got everything what you needed to start up your tank and im not sure if this tank still for sale good tank for 300$ only that's what i saw on ovas price maybe a bit more than 300 bucks. but anyway checked it out its a solana cube:b16:

Thanks Powder, I went to one of the sponser stores, I actually live in Rockland not Ottawa but didn't realize til I joined that anyone might have heard of Rockland.

After talking to the very helpful person at the store I decided against a cube and ended up with a 29 gallon tank I have just filled it and am going to put the salt in (probably should have done that first but wanted to make sure it didn't leak) then I will be waiting till the tests come right. I also got a few bits of rock already cured that I have in a seperate container right now with some salt water.

The 30 gallon is probably much better for me because I know I would expand and I already have a stand that can handle 2 aquarium so later I can set up a sump on the lower level.

Who knows I still might get a cube someday if I'm lucky.

Almost all of us are in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. We've heard of Rockland. Check out the beginner threads for piles tips and advice on getting started. What do you plan on using for lighting and water movement? Be sure to premix your salt with the water before introducing the LR to it. Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Almost all of us are in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. We've heard of Rockland. Check out the beginner threads for piles tips and advice on getting started. What do you plan on using for lighting and water movement? Be sure to premix your salt with the water before introducing the LR to it. Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer.
    Yes thanks I'm still reading and learning. I did get a refractometer and for now I have one powerhead and will add more later, for now the light is just a flourecent that came with the tank top but I will change that as I work my way up.

For now I have the LR in a seperate container with salt water that was mixed before adding.

I did not get nitrite test kit yesterday or ph, I probably have some lying around but might be very old as I no longer test my pond because it is huge and always very stable.

The water cleared up from the sand cloud overnight, and there are 3 frozen shrimp in there - when is the first time I should test the water for readings, I can get nitrite test strips later today.

ok just for the heck of it I tested for ammonia using both the old and new test to judge if old was still any use. The readings were the same on both so I guess it's ok unfortunately I did not have any nitrite test hiding in basement so will have to wait a bit.

The ammonia was somewhere between .50 and 1 - is that what I
    should expect it to be after about 16 hours with a few raw shrimp in there?