Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Progress on new tank

It’s been a little over 2 weeks now and here’s where things are. As of yesterday the tank is up to - 1 light, 1 power head, 1 nano doc skimmer, 1 regular pump/filter, heater of course, 10 pounds of cured rock (30 gal tank I know I need more but am trying to space out the bills a bit).

Yesterday 10 hermit crabs were added and copeods (sp?) have been spotted in the tank over the last 5 days. The ammonia is gone, the nitrites are dropping and there were nitrates. I didn’t think the water was ok with still some nitrite in it but the fish store said it was fine for the crabs. The rock I have has plenty of coraline algae on it. Crabs are doing fine.

I do have a small problem now that I have the skimmer the tank cover does not fit properly but since eventually I hope to have a different cover to accommodate different lights then I guess I can live with it till then.

I was asking at the fish store what would be a good starter fish and he suggested clowns or green chromus does anyone have any other suggestions. The fish store estimated about a week and I can add a couple of fish.

Is there anything I’m overlooking?

I usually let my tank sit for one month before adding anything to it. The saltwater cycle can take a while to fully complete and your "cured" liverock may need some more time to be classified as fully cured. Just don't add fish to simply add them-->you must have wish list for your size tank that you have already fully researched? Choose fish that are suited to eachother and always leave the bullies to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakes View Post
    I usually let my tank sit for one month before adding anything to it. The saltwater cycle can take a while to fully complete and your "cured" liverock may need some more time to be classified as fully cured. Just don't add fish to simply add them-->you must have wish list for your size tank that you have already fully researched? Choose fish that are suited to eachother and always leave the bullies to last.

Thank you for your advice, I do need to research some more and make a wish list. I am sometimes at a loss, thinking I'm doing ok but then realize I still don't have a clue.

Sorry I tried to edit but wasn't allowed to. this is to add to the above.

Edit - I meant to say most of the rock I have has come from another tank, an employee of the store took his tank down and his rock is what I'm buying so it probably is fully cured .

Quote Originally Posted by BethOttawa View Post
    Edit - I meant to say most of the rock I have has come from another tank, an employee of the store took his tank down and his rock is what I'm buying so it probably is fully cured .
    It would all depend on how long this rock was taken out of water, and what kind of die off of existing organisms has taken place. The only real way of knowing is time in a new tank, and doing tests.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

i agree with PP, try to limit the die off during transfer and keep testing after the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by BethOttawa View Post
    I am sometimes at a loss, thinking I'm doing ok but then realize I still don't have a clue.

unfortunately this feeling may take some time to go away, if ever :b13:

there is so much to learn and so many different ways to achieve the results we want that we're always learning in this hobby.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

miht wanan check all thse videos: mighth elp...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsaltwatertank
    300g reef system

Until you have finished adding live rock do not add any fish. Every addition of rock will have some die off associated it and will trigger a small to large cycle. In a 30g tank this will be noticable then in a larger tank. Good luck and keep researching, there is always something new to learn.

For fish you may want to look at the goby family, there are a wide variety and many are small and colorful.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Thanks, by Monday the display tank will be a 40 gal and the 30 gal will be a sump. I realize today I won't be adding any fish for quite a while as most of my lovely rock and some sand is starting to turn brown. I read that this is most likely diatrates and that the best thing to do is just wait it out.

I don't have any snails yet but wonder if tomorrow when I pick up the new tank if he has any mexican turbo snails if I should get a few, have 9 hermit crabs in there. They were supposed to be green legged but most of them look to have red legs and a couple have blue.

Anyway it's not pretty but I guess it's progress.

Well the key to this hobby is patience so good to see you have that already.

Be prepared to loose some snails to your hermits. They are notorious snail eaters or will just pull them from the shell to test fit a new home. In fact when I still allowed hermits in my system I saw one hermit pull another hermit out of his shell to steal the shell. They are evil little creatures.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast