Confused about what my skimmer is doing

Hi, I put a skimmer in yesterday - Tunze Nano, DOC Skimmer 9002, Cleaner 3165, Reefpack 200, Silence 1073.008

at first I thought it was the way it was supposed to be, it was bubbling just at the rim of the hole at the top and the plastic container was empty. Now today it's nice and foamy in the tube but the plastic cup on top has filled with water. Should that be?

I looked at active skimmers in the store but the thing is they were'nt exactly the same because some were in coral display cases so they had extra things added on because of water level and honestly it was a bit confusing to me to look at all the different ones.

Also in the booklet I see that I could add filter materials to this skimmer unit is that necessary or advisable?

Tunze!!! Definately the gold standard-your doing it right!
    Although I don't know the Tunze skimmer personally it sounds that you need a minor adjustment. too much water flow. Can you slow the water a bit (lower the level).

Send pics- I would love to see what it looks like.

I don't know this skimmer in particular. But like newmarket says, you need to throttle the water level down a bit to try and get a dryer foam production; a very dark looking skimmate that looks and smells absolutely disgusting in your collection cup is what you want to achieve. If it looks too wet, it's just the water level adjusted too high. Also note that new skimmers perform different for a few days until they pass the break in period. Don't worry about media for now. It's probably carbon it's referring too.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Ok thanks I just tightened the screw a little it takes time for it to change though so I might need to fiddle with it a bit over a period of hours.

Yes, I saw how dark and disgusting the foam could be in the store and it might seem weird but I had been hoping I would see some in mine but that's a bit much to expect I guess considering there's nothing much living in there now.

I got a good skimmer because of reading here how important it was and since I had what was bare necessesities of a setup was asking at the store what would be the best thing to buy next an RO water maker, another power head or the skimmer and he advised me on the skimmer.

The one I got is actually way more than a tank my size needs but that can only be a good thing right?

Well yes to a certain extent. The ratings on most skimmers is with a small - medium bioload. We want to try and size our skimmers as if our tank was heavily stocked. But when you go to far, you could end up removing too much good stuff that the corals need. But you're fine.
    Since you don't have any fish, you won't see too much in your collection cup of your skimmer. You'll get some of the die off when you first had it running for a few days, and then you'll notice it not pulling much until you start getting some fish.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse