Thread: New 65gal

New 65gal

After loosing everythig from my small 30 gal. Tank I have upgraded now to a 65gal aquarium it's been about 2-3 weeks I have rock and water sand and snails going in there, I managed to us the rocks I had and and the sand so it's helped to begin the cycle on my tank.

Now I was wondering. I have an aptasia problem, so I want to know if it would be to soon to put a load of peppermint shrimps in there to help solve this issue. I know they do a great job, but do you think it would be to soon?!
    I have been testing my water, params are proper, everything is doing great some of the little zoos that lived are starting to open up and ge some color again, I have 2 blue green Cromis as well as 10 Astria snails.

Another thought, could I put a big cleaner crew in there just to clean up the rock eg. A couple emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp. And more snails.
    Any other suggestions for good hardy cleaners since I'm going to be going through all kinds of algea blooms in the next couple months?!

I'm planning a reef so everything reef safe
    Thanks all

Todd

ijo
    I would wait another couple of weeks to make sure everything is stable in there... I think its a great idea to add a bunch of peppermint shrimps for the aptasia and snails, emeralds and acrabs for the rest of the tank. If the tank is full of algae... think about adding the dollowing in addition to the peppermints(5?).

5 Emerald Crabs
    2 Turbo Snails
    10 Cerith
    10 Trochus <--Expensive but awesome!
    5 large Nassarius
    25 hermit crabs

IJO

while you wait i would start the war with aptasia x ( or similiar, only product that came to mind but there are loads ), it wont rid the tank of these pests but it'll make the job easier.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

my copper banded butterfly did the job in one night in my 400g, and i was infested!
    300g reef system

For your apstasia, once the tank has settled you could try some berghai nudibranches as apstasia is all they will eat. And if you keep snails and predators (fish) out of the tank they should get it cleaned up in short order.

As for the suggestion of a copperband, it is still way to early for your tank as they are fairly sensitive. Also they are a hit and miss fish when it comes to apstasia so if you decide to try this route be sure that this is a fish you want regardless and are willing to put up with their other eating habits (fan worms, coco worms, etc)
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    For your apstasia, once the tank has settled you could try some berghai nudibranches as apstasia is all they will eat. And if you keep snails and predators (fish) out of the tank they should get it cleaned up in short order.

As for the suggestion of a copperband, it is still way to early for your tank as they are fairly sensitive. Also they are a hit and miss fish when it comes to apstasia so if you decide to try this route be sure that this is a fish you want regardless and are willing to put up with their other eating habits (fan worms, coco worms, etc)
    well said, +1
    300g reef system

powder18

i used jojuece, or even hot water with venigar. i hate to say this to you all i don't really have a aptasia, this majano anemone pissed me off and if you can't control all this it will spread really quick in your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder18 View Post
    i used jojuece, or even hot water with venigar. i hate to say this to you all i don't really have a aptasia, this majano anemone pissed me off and if you can't control all this it will spread really quick in your tank.
    I wonder if this would work on bubble tip anemone's. I've tried everything I can to get rid of the 9+ anemones I have taking over my tank. They've totally destroyed the entire right side of my tank, Nothing but sps skeletons and anemones.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

i think i'm just going to wait a bit to put my peppermint shrimps, i tryed yesterday to put a cleaner in there and unfortunatly he has moved on to better places. was weird he just froze dead.
    other than that some things on my rocks are coming back, the fish that i recently bought are doing great, although i'm worried about ich for them. all of them eating and happily swimming.

do you think it would be to early to put some emerald crabs in? i have about 20 someodd snails in there and they are doing great.

thanks
    Todd

Boil some water and lemon juice and inject it right into the stock of the aptasia it kills them dead. Then scrub the rocks well to make sure there is nothing left as they can grow back from the smallest mosel left behind. This is the fastest and cheapest way to rid urself of them. :b15:
    45G Tall, 20g sump/fuge, Boyu dg2520 skimmer, Rio 1700 rp, 2 Koralia K1 ph, 4x39w T5HO w 12 Cree XRE LED DIY, CS90 OF, Fish- 2 Ocel, 2 Neon Damsels, Algae Blenny, Serpent Star, CUC- 5BL Hermits, 4 Tiger Turbos, 10 Ceriths, 10 Nassarus, 10 Nerites, Corals- Xenias, Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Zoos, RBTA :b15: