Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Skimmer recommendations please!

Hello,

I am going to start assembling my 75g with sump set up. My sump is commercially available called a Proflex Sump 2. The tank is drilled on the back wall for a 2in sump drain and a 1in return. It is also drilled for a closed loop setup...1 x 1in drain and 2x 1in returns for circulation. I have a Dolphin DP12 which I am planning on using for the sump return, however I also have a Mag12 that I could use for this. The one not used for the sump return will power the closed loop. I have a Mag7 that I am planning on using to power the skimmer.
    Where is it essential to have check and ball valves.
    I will be looking to have an in-sump skimmer and would like to know what your experience suggests. My intention is to create a REEF system with a pair of clownfish.
    I also have not yet decided on a lighting system at this point.

Any suggestions and help will be very much appreciated.
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

"Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

Forget check valves. You'll want to use anti-siphon pin holes in the proper places to break your siphon instead... Not familiar with dolphin return pumps, but I will say a mag12 is too big for your return. I use a mag12 on my 120g with dual overflows, and mine is very high flow. I'd probably use the mag 12 in the closed loop... In terms of where to install ball valves, always have a ball valve after your main pumps. This is essential for servicing, and for throttling back the flow on the pump if it's too strong. (Never throttle down a pump on its intake).The biggest you'd want for a return is maybe a mag 9.5, or use that mag 7 you have.(remember too that you might Tee off for different reactors with your return pump)...
    For a skimmer, I'd recommend getting a skimmer in the reef octopus series that uses the bubble blaster pump. You get a very good warranty, crazy performance, and it's not expensive.
    I'm not entirely sure how to recommend doing your sump in terms of baffling. I'm not familiar with it, and never seen one like it before. You ideally want your skimmer in the first chamber, in a partition where your water flow stays at a constant level by not being affected by water evaporation. (this is because most skimmers water height goes up and down with the height of the water it's sitting in).

Can't really make suggestions for lighting. You'd need to decide on if you want high light demanding corals, such as many of the stony ones.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

skimmer you gonan get this: http://www.goreef.com/Super-Space-Sa...25-Gallon.html

and Lights: http://www.goreef.com/Aquailluminati...ontroller.html X2

nothing but the best

and for your return, use a mag 5, you need a slow flow
    300g reef system

Thanks very much for your input its much appreciated and needed!
    I have just come across a great deal on this Octopus line skimmer, but its rated for a larger tank. Is this too much skimmer or is it good to have a skimmer capable of a larger work load.

Octopus Recirculating Protein Skimmer OCT-DNW-200 Description: *Oct-DNW-200 Recirculating Skimmer *Allows the user to input the exact amount of water desired to be skimmed. *Acrylic cast construction *Internal or external use *Rated to 300 gallons *Large 8" Recirculating Skimmer *Dimensions: 21.25"x9"x29"

its okay if its fits in the sump
    300g reef system

Ok thanks..I got a PM from an Aquaria.ca sponsored business with a clearance price that I couldnt resist. If it doesnèt work I will figure something else out. The lighting system you recommended looks fantastic too! I will be looking at lighting as soon as I get all of the plumbing completed. The use of the pumps will have to be looked at...I already had the pumps mentioned above and thought I could make it work, but am glad you pointed out that this will be too much pressure.

No check valves- check.
    Ball valves on both the intake and return on all pumps (for maintenance) but only restrict the flow on the return-never on the intake. right.

The lights are the best; no heat, no hydro bill, cant beat that

make sure you have TRUE union ball valves
    you can use your mag if you have it already, the valve wil ltake care of the flow.
    depending of the space you have, you could run other equipment with the same pump
    300g reef system

True union ball valves...got it.

I will have some available space underneath, even with the sump. I will know just how much once I receive the skimmer I just ordered (less than half price).

That lighting system will be bookmarked for my lighting choice too!

get 2 phosban reactors; one for carbon, other one for bio beads and run them with your mag 7
    300g reef system

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast