Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lighting

lighting

Good day what kind of lighting should I be using for pink tip and bubble tip they are getting smaller and i am not sure why I think it is because the light bulb i am using...

A little more info would help, like tank size and current lighting.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

good day the tank is a 100 gal
    i am not sure what kind of lighting is in there now I know it is a two light bulb set up the bulb not to sure what kind of light bulb would be the best I am new at this salt water stuff can you tell I am not ever sure if I am posting right lol... Thank you

I am going to guess that if this is the standard light fixture as part of a tank kit you have T8 NO lights, which are only good for viewing the fish but are totally inadequate for corals. Below is part of sticky thread on the acronyms.

To determine what lighting you need we need to know the dimensions, specifically the depth (height) of the tank, and what corals you plan to keep in the tank. Currently the choice is between T5HO and MH with LEDs starting to come into the picture and Plasma on the horizon.

Lighting Terms

NO– Normal Output – This refers to standard fluorescent lighting. Normally not used in marine systems due to their low output power.

PC – Power Compact – This is essentially a fluorescent tube bent in half. It provides a higher output then standard fluorescent lights.

VHO – Very High Output - These lamps put out higher power then a standard lamp (110w for a 4’ bulb) and are often used in combination with MH’s to provide actinic supplementation. Note: The lighting industry is moving to no longer manufacture the T12 VHO bulbs due to their power draw and inefficiencies.

T5 – T5 Regular Output - A new style smaller fluorescent bulb. Not recommended for reef systems with coral due to low output.

T5HO – T5 High Output – This is the newest and most efficient of all of the fluorescent lighting options. The T5HO lights require a quality individual reflector for each lamp and are capable of meeting the lighting needs of all corals depending on the tank depth. Commonly used as the sole lighting source or in combination with metal halides. T5 and T5HO bulbs and ballasts are not interchangeable so careful attention when purchasing these is required to ensure they are HO models.

MH – Metal Halide – These have been the staple of the aquarium lighting for many years now. They are available in a variety of power levels (70w, 150w, 250w, 400w, 1000w) as well as either Single Ended bulbs (SE) or as double ended bulbs (HQI). To operate a MH a ballast is required which also comes in two types, Electronic and Magnetic. Each ballast is rated to run a specific lamp wattage (ex. 250w) and should then work with any lamp of that size.

T5/T8/T12 – Fluorescent lighting sizes – Fluorescent tubes come in a variety of diameters and rate based on 1/8” increments. A T8 lamp for example is 8 x 1/8” so it is 1” in diameter. A T12 is 1.5” in diameter and a T5 is 5/8” in diameter.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I have the Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 Lamp High Output Fixture but i am not sure what kind of bulb is in there.

I also have the following things in my tank
    Med Long Tentacle Anemone:Colored
    Item# 112
    $24.95 CAD1$24.95 CADMed Bubble Anem: Color
    Item# 111
    $29.95 CAD1$29.95 CADTunicate: Blue

Med Long Tentacle Anemone, Med Bubble Anem and a Tunicate
    and my Outside Dimensions in Inches (L x W x H) are
    Med Long Tentacle Anemone:Colored
    Item# 112$24.95 CAD1$24.95 CADMed Bubble Anem: Color
    Item# 111$29.95 CAD1$29.95 CADTunicate: Blue

72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 19 3/8

please help me find the right Bulb

More then likely you have one bulb that is 10,000k and the other is the actinic. Does one bulb look all blue and the other just looks like bright light? It seems to me like the lighting isn't enough for 100g with 2 bulbs. But I thought these fixtures come at a maximum length of 48" but you have a 72" tank? I sure hope you don't have freshwater bulbs in there.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

The reason your nems aren't doing ok is probably due to lighting. They are photosynthetic meaning they need a certain amount of light as part of their nurishment. On a tank that size and depth you should have at least 400w of lighting that would be about 8 bulbs T5HO or 3 150w MH. If u wish to keep corals you'll need 600w+. Lighting is one area u cannot skimp on sorry. :b15:
    45G Tall, 20g sump/fuge, Boyu dg2520 skimmer, Rio 1700 rp, 2 Koralia K1 ph, 4x39w T5HO w 12 Cree XRE LED DIY, CS90 OF, Fish- 2 Ocel, 2 Neon Damsels, Algae Blenny, Serpent Star, CUC- 5BL Hermits, 4 Tiger Turbos, 10 Ceriths, 10 Nassarus, 10 Nerites, Corals- Xenias, Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Zoos, RBTA :b15:

thank you so can you tell me the right kind of lighting i need give me a name and model and I will buy it tonight thank you.......

Would check out a TEK 8 T5 HO, the bulbs they come with are usually very good. I had a TEK 6 on mine before I went to Metal Halides but will be switching back to the TEK 6 due to the high heat from the MH and I don't want a chiller. check out the sponsors section.
    45G Tall, 20g sump/fuge, Boyu dg2520 skimmer, Rio 1700 rp, 2 Koralia K1 ph, 4x39w T5HO w 12 Cree XRE LED DIY, CS90 OF, Fish- 2 Ocel, 2 Neon Damsels, Algae Blenny, Serpent Star, CUC- 5BL Hermits, 4 Tiger Turbos, 10 Ceriths, 10 Nassarus, 10 Nerites, Corals- Xenias, Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Zoos, RBTA :b15:

do you know were I can get this Light?? I do not care how much it cost I need to order on line because i am not close to any salt water stores please advise thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast