New Creature Appears!!!

Ok after days of imagining that what are probably crab poops are little worms, I really HAVE seen a new creature. Unfortunately hubby still canít see it and is convinced I am delusional but really it is there.

Now this one does not look like the little pods and Iím not sure if I think itís cute or revolting.
    I think that would depend on whether itís softbodied or in a shell and that I canít really say.

I saw it on the back of a hermit crab. They were on a light rock a whiteish one. Now this creature is about the same color as the rock, whiteish with a bit of pink on it. There are teeny tiny very delicate little feelers that come out of it that are reddish.

It does not move as fast as the crabs but it is quite mobile and it looked as if it was cleaning the sell of the crab. Later it was on a rock and still moving around. I havenít found it yet this morning.

With no idea of what it might be it is of course hard for me to say but if I had to compare it to a garden bug it would unfortunately be a bit like a slug, a slug with feelers.

It is small but not tiny about the size of the end of a pen. Not the ball point part but the other end.

It could be a stomatella, nudi, isopod etc. A pic would be very helpful.:b15:
    45G Tall, 20g sump/fuge, Boyu dg2520 skimmer, Rio 1700 rp, 2 Koralia K1 ph, 4x39w T5HO w 12 Cree XRE LED DIY, CS90 OF, Fish- 2 Ocel, 2 Neon Damsels, Algae Blenny, Serpent Star, CUC- 5BL Hermits, 4 Tiger Turbos, 10 Ceriths, 10 Nassarus, 10 Nerites, Corals- Xenias, Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Zoos, RBTA :b15:

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trijam View Post

yeah, sorry. I saw it again and removed the rock thinking I could knock the thing off into a small bowl and photo it but it stopped moving when removed from water and I could not find it on the rock. Next time I see it I will try to keep the rock in same position as I take it out. It blends in rock so well I can't see it if it doesn't move.

I've looked at the links and googled till my finger hurts but can't find anything like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trijam View Post
    I finally saw it again a few days ago after doing a 50% water change and moving some rocks. Then was able to verify from some images that it is indeed a stomatella varia. So glad it's not something nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by BethOttawa View Post
    Then was able to verify from some images that it is indeed a stomatella varia. So glad it's not something nasty.

lucky you, under the right conditions they can / will breed and become a free cleaning crew :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery