Is this a sponge?

I got another 20 lbs of rock yesterday and there are a few things on it that I don't know what they are and if it's alive or dead.

This is the one I think might be alive but its hard to say, it sways a little bit but that could be from the current.

There is also a thing hanging underneath it that looks pretty dead but I'm not sure it looks torn at the edges. I'd hate to remove it if it was something beneficial and alive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a sponge?-spngy-thing.jpg  

liv
    the pictures are very blurry but its very common for sponges to make it on the LR we purchase.
    most of the sponge on the LR will die, but some of it may survive and grow back. Usually, most sponges do not survive being exposed to oxygen ( air ) so when LR is shipped, its shipped dry ( but still moist ) so some of it may survive, but the exterior surface is most likely dead. odds are some will survive and will grow in time.

after a while of running your tank, sponges may/will cover the underside of lots of your LR.. and with all types of colors, pinks, reds, green, beige, blue.

overfeeding tanks may have more sponges then other systems... ( thats why i always had sponges everywhere he he )

hope this helps.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

hope this helps.
    Yes thanks it did.

Sorry again for the pictures. I was trying to do something on the camera and must have got the settings all changed, will need to find manual and see what to do. I don't take many photos.

I hope this is a better photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a sponge?-spongeything2.jpg