Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sump lighting

sump lighting

I am working on getting everything for my sump tank. I am planning on using the 3 section setup for the sump. I want to keep some chaeto(spelling) in the sump to help with nitrates.. The LFS said he would give me a big handfull for nothing.. Do i need any special lights for the chaeto.. just a good daylight bulb ok? does it need actinic? Also, I was hoping to find a 12" light to fit accross the 20L tank to just light up the refugium section of the sump. Does anyone know where I can find one?? I saw one somewhere but dont remember where now.. Pretty sure it was a 12" fixture with 2 T5 bulbs..

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Shane.

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a clamp on fixture for less than $10 and while you are there, look at the Phillips bulbs for something that is 5000k or above. You have to look very closely at the packaging as they hide it very well. IF you can't find the K value, don't buy it. It works well for growth in the refuge. Comes in a 2 pack of the energy efficient type bulbs. Bulbs should not be any more than $10 for the pair either.
    65 gal. w/40 sump, 90 gal. w/30 sump, 20 gal. frag/holding tank and a whole bunch of paraphanalia to go with it!

the phillips daylight CFL's are 6.5K and perfect for the refugium.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Ok sounds good guys, thanks for the replies. I have to hit HD anyway for plexi for the sump so I will check out the lighting dept as well.

Shane.

if you're sump is glass ( 20L ), i'd recommend using glass ( 1/4" ) for the baffles. silicone and acrylic don't bond permanently and over time the baffles can become loose. make sure to double check all your dimensions and make them a little smaller in the width, so you can turn them during installation.

good luck
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    if you're sump is glass ( 20L ), i'd recommend using glass ( 1/4" ) for the baffles. silicone and acrylic don't bond permanently and over time the baffles can become loose. make sure to double check all your dimensions and make them a little smaller in the width, so you can turn them during installation.

good luck
    I agree. Just contact a local glass company and have them cut some 1/4" baffles for you. They normally cost about $5 a piece that is cut to size and rounded edges.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have deceided to bite the bullet and go to a larger tank, gonna get a 75 thats already got the overflow installed and use the 35 as a sump. What lighting is needed for live rock? Im not gonna do any corals or anything just a dsb with live rock and have some chaeto in the sump. I have the marineland double bright led setup on the 35.. I was trying to decide between t5 lighting and led.. I see they have "reef ready" led lights.. Im kinda leaning towards the current usa 48" t5..

Shane.

ijo
    LED lights are great but will be very expensive... T5's would be my choice for Fish, Softies and LPS corals. You might even get the low light SPS doing well under T5 lighting. I had some digitata caps in my 65 gallon T5 setup a while back without issue.

IJO

I was looking at Incredible Aquarium and they have the Current USA 48" t5(4 bulb) for 379. The Marineland reef capable LED setup, I was looking at the 48-60" and its 448. So only $70 more Im just wondering how good the actinic led's are compared to a t5 bulb..

Shane.

ijo
    I upgraded my lighting from 2x 54 watt T5 (10K, Actinic) to 2x 54 watt T5 (10K,10K) and a strip of 30x 1 watt blue LEDS and love it.

I'm not sure if the LED setup you mentioned is any good... maybe others could chime in. They used to be extremely expensive... maybe they have gone down in price and/or that setup is using low power LEDs. Do they mention how many watts of led its using?

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast