Exclamation Acclimating/ freshwater dip

Been reading some books and lots on the web.. When I had my 55gal tank before I didnt quarantine or anything just floated, added water and put fish in the tank.. Ive been reading about QT tanks, freshwater dips and some still say acclimate and put them in the tank.. Sounds like a freshwater dip method would be quick and easy..

What is the recommended procedures and/or what do you do when you have a new arrival to add to your tank?

Shane.

ijo
    I would not use a freshwater dip... I find it stresses the fish way more than needed. I do not use a QT tank but this is by far the best method IMO. If you have ever had a bad outbreak of ich... you are now probably using a QT tank (losing all your fish is not fun).

I will float the bag and add a squirt of tank water using a turkey baster into the bag every 15 minutes for about 1-2 hours depending on how far off the salinity was beforehand(tank salinity and bag salinity). If I'm 1 to 2 points off... I will usually acclimate for an hour. After this I pour the water out of the bag into the sink and then dump the fish in the tank.

So far this methods has worked for me... there are many other ways to acclimate fish. Hopefully others will share their experience

IJO

In fact you will see many people now being proponents of QT tanks for both fish and corals.

The use of a QT tank provides many benefits such as
    • Detection of diseases
    • opportunity to observe feeding
    • time to recover from long stressfulls trips - ocean->collectors->airport->wholesalers->stores->you
    • ability to easily remove to hospital tank if required
    • corals can harbor many pests which may not be easily detected and may survive dips
    • adjusting the QT tank to the salinity of the store and then gradually upping the salinity over days instead of hours. An large quick rise in salinity can easily kill a fish.

I believe freshwater dips or other chemical baths should only be used when trying to correct a known problem, and using them just in case is just another stress to a new fish.

Personally when my current setup was running I had a QT tank setup ready to go 24/7 cause I never new when I might impulse buy. To make this easy I had a tank plumbed to my main sump system that with the turn of a couple of valves became an isolated system. It had a drain if anything went wrong that I could drain and wash the tank straight to the sewer line. If things were all good after the QT period I would crack the recirc line slightly and let a trickle of water from the main tank go to the QT and the QT overflow back to the sump. This allowed me an easy way to slowly get the two systems to identical parameters so when I moved the fish over there were no worries.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I tried the FW dip on fish twice - I matched the pH and temp both times. In both cases, the fish were severely p'd off and died within a couple of days. I don't know whether they would have died anyway, but I do know that I will not try it again.

Ok thanks everyone, will forget about freshwater dips.. Stick to the QT tank..

Shane.