instant ocean 'sand' mix??

Been doin 50% water changes on my 20Gal long tank, been noticing little bits of sand floating around the bottom of the tank after a water change. Is this normal? I would think that any sand in the salt mix would be considered 'filler'? Is there a salt mix that doesnt contain any sand or is having a little sand in there just part of the mix? Its not alot of sand but usually a couple little piles the size of a dime.. I notice the I/O salt mix I buy is the cheapest, I dont have a reef so I figured that would be good but if I buy the I/O reef salt or a different brand of salt that doesnt have sand in it?

Shane.
    Porkys are great, If it can fit in it's mouth, it will eat it. If it cant fit, it will constantly try to make it fit.

ijo
    I have never heard or seen this myself... are you sure its not salt that not been properly mixed?

IJO

I mix the salt with R/O water in a 5 gal bucket and have a powerhead in there with A heater for 24hrs so I dont think its unmixed salt... Do you use the I/O salt IJO?

Shane.
    Porkys are great, If it can fit in it's mouth, it will eat it. If it cant fit, it will constantly try to make it fit.

liv
    never seen sand in my IO buckets... ever.
    but there's always a first.. lol. if you can. take some samples, and look at it via microscope.. if its sand.. complain to the company.. your paying for salt not sand.. if thats the case.. thats filler and you were ripped off..
    Dont accept anything but a full refund or a new bucket.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Upto this week I've have always used I/O salt. I have corals and used the "REEF CRYSTALS" but had the other stuff as well. I/O always mixed well and had no problems with it (no sand). I have never heard of that happening. I would recommend it to anyone.

I was given a 5 gal. bucket of RED SEA CORAL PRO SALT to try. If it wasn't free and still would be using I/O.

Ya same here I used I/O salt years ago when I had my 75Gal tank, and always like it.. Its just with the bare bottom tank Im noticing these little piles of sand like material... Could just be this bucket of salt, I didnt notice it in the other 2 buckets Ive used. Its weird, maybe I got a batch made on a long weekend... Im still gonna use it, its not at the point where I dont want to use it..

Shane.

liv
    any possibility it could be precipitation ? or un-dissolved calcium ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I guess it could have been, not really sure. It just looked like sand..