Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi folks

Hi folks

Hi folks, just thought i would drop a line to every one
    i have fresh water tanks from as far back as i can remember
    I have final taken the plunged into salt water with a 265g
    will have my new take very soon, so wish me luck

Hey Blue Dog,

Thanks for stopping by and we wish you the best of luck. You might want to post some pictures of your setup as you proceed. I always find it amazing to look back once it is all done or at least I hope to if I ever make it to the finish line.

Jason
    Jason

Welcome to AC. That will be a great size. Ask lots, read lots and remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

This going to be a good one

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Welcome to AC. That will be a great size. Ask lots, read lots and remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
    Well I should start from from the beginning, I come home with my 265 and get it placed in the living room, things are good till the wife get home, here we go. She says no way is that going to see water, to BIG.
    If i want to put water in it she wants a bigger house, so we wend out and bought one, nice rec room, that is home for the tank. She happy so i,m happy.
    just getting started with some reno work when a friend stops in and says he has a deal on a 351g stop the saws. So now i have this monster of a tank, that won,t go down the stairs. No problem i will just cut a hole into the floor and drop it in to the rec room, that is where i am now.
    My wife thinks i have lost my mind but understands that when i put my mind to something it will get done.
    I will keep posting and have some pics soon

Ok, I have to ask. You have any pics for the tank being lowered into the rec room. That is insane dedication to a hobby. I would never consider cutting out the joists to get a tank into a room and would love seeing pictures of the event.

Jason
    Jason

Well, now. That 265 would make a nice sump for a 350 main tank. ;-)

But, wow, that's commitment to a large tank.

Any ideas what you'll be putting in it? Do you already have some of the support equipment? Skimmer, pumps, Calcium dosing, lighting, etc.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hi folks, thanks for all the feed back. I have been collecting parts from here and there, most are used as i am trying to save money
    for the more expensive stuff, LED lights maybe a new skimmer but not sure yet. I have picked up two bubble king 180, so i hope this is enough.
    I have about 200lb of crushed coal for the bottom, (need more) I have picked up about 150lb of live rock that my LFS is keeping for me. Have test kits
    but i think i will go electronic, couple mag 18. I,m thinking i will go with a coast to coast over flow, dont like to have anything in the take, that is what sumps are for.
    Still thinking about heating all this water, open to suggestions. I have done most of my home work on this one, but can never know to much haha. I will be posting pics soon
    and again thanks for all the support and intrest

I'm hoping by "crushed coal" you meant "crushed coral". ;-)
    Otherwise, keeping your water clean could prove challenging even with a pair of bubble kings. :-)

Typically, with large systems, keeping the water cool is a bigger challenge. But, with LED lighting, I suspect the heat from lighting won't be the same as using metal halide lamps.
    Anyone else have experience they want to share?

Have you considered some form of electronic reef controler (timer for the lights, pumps, etc. as well as constant monitoring of parameters and the ability to email or call out in case of system imbalance)?

Have you considered some form of backup electrical system? Even if just a deep cycle marine battery and inverter keeping one pump running during a power outage.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Yes i meant crushed coral, but i,m reading a lot on sand beds. And yes i have thought about back up power.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
    Yes i meant crushed coral
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

I keep trying to justify the automatic standby generators so that basic stuff in the house keeps on ticking without interruption or human intervention.
    But, for almost 3 years where I am, we've only had one outage. Hard to justify the extra money. I have a diesel generator, but, it isn't automatic and isn't wired in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast