Reeflo Dart Replacement

It looks like my Reeflo Dart closed loop pump is starting to go. Sometimes I find the shaft not spinning and it is not putting out as much movement in my reef tank (180 G, 6' x 2' x 2'). I was looking at changing into the DC pumps but nothing seems to be pumping anything over 3,000 GPH. Does anybody know of one or have experience with them?

I'm not aware of any higher capacity reef safe DC pumps out there.
    Most of what I've seen or heard of is in the smaller pumps. More like the Tunze wave pump, and some needle wheel skimmer pumps.

At the very least, you should be able to fit a Dart type head unit on a DC motor (say a fan motor from a furnace fan). Of course, that assumes your head unit is still sound and it is your pump motor starting to fail.
    Alternately, you might be able to simply disassemble, clean and reassemble your pump and keep going.

Having said that, there are a couple options that are getting close, but, these are so new there isn't going to be any real long term experience with them:
    Diablo DC 10500 Variable Speed Water Pump, from Octopus for $269.95 only at ReefSpecialty. Aquarium Supplies, LED Lights, Aquarium Lighting and Protein Skimmers - 435-671-6522
    Or the rip off versions:
    Jebao KM ECO Variable Pump

The "12000" versions are supposed to be controllable by Apex controllers (not sure if other controllers will work too).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the quick reply. From what I have heard, the Wavelines (Jebao is only a rebrand) are the most popular. One LFS that I regularly go tells me he won't carry them because of the problems that a few of his customers have reported. He says the only reliable one is the made in Germany Azziz but they are $1,800.00 before taxes and shipping! I don't think I'm ready to spend that kind of money for a closed loop pump. By the way, what do you think my flow should be (180 G 6' x 2' x 2', mostly LPS and a few SPS)? Is it around 15-30x?

10-50x is the normal range (lps to sps).

But, as important is a bit of fluctuation/turbulence or back and forth wave action. Coral tend to feed and expel waste as the water moves back and forth.
    The other factor is keeping detritus in suspension long enough to send it to the skimmer.

For the SPS, it is pretty difficult to have too much flow, but, it can't be too focused or you'll scour the flesh off the skeleton.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reeflo Dart

Thanks for the input. I was maybe thinking of picking up 2 Vortex MP60s, keeping in mind that I will be selling off this tank and getting a 6' x 3' x 28 or 30" tank in the next 6 months and I don't want any holes in the new tank. So everything I'm doing now has to be compatible with the next tank because with the old tank in the basement I don't get to enjoy it as much as the only time I go down there is to feed the fish and do tank maintenance. I plan to use the new tank as a divider between the family room and the office.

The Vortexes are a nice idea and quite adjustable (you can move them around easily enough and you have loads of options for flow control).

I've not used them myself yet, but, it will certainly help you reuse the set up ona new tank.

Sequence actually make a DC version of the dart pumps, but they don't come with the controller, so you have to buy it seperately or build one.

Not sure where you are located but the Coral Reef Shop in the the Toronto area caries another DC pump, better quality then the waveline and less then the aziz, at least that's what they told me. But I don't know the max flow rate.

I actually have 4 darts on my setup becuase I couldn't find a similar flow pump that was cheaper or more efficient.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually ended up picking a Vortex MP40 WES from ORG. He had only 1 in stock but he's ordered me another one. This way I only have to buy 2 more at a later date for the big tank. Damn, this hobby is expensive! Everyone I talk to keeps telling me about the problems with the DC Pumps and besides they will be useless to me when I build the bigger tank because I don't want any holes on it.