Ottawa corals for newbie?

I've got my first tank (29G) up and running now. It's been about a month. Water parameters are fine. Had a batch of hiar algae on the tank walls but the snails are dealing with that. Two peppermint shrimp seem quite happy.

So, I'd like to start adding some beginner corals. I've got a 'wish list' for a bit later but think I'd like to start with some 'shrooms', zoos and/or Xenia. I wondered if there are folks in the Ottawa area who might have frags I could acquire? Nothing much to trade since my tank is empty :-) But, there are always cash frags if needed to free things up.

Thanks.

PS. I'm on the Orleans side of Ottawa.
    Nick

ijo
    Zookeeper should have some Zoo's and Shrooms available(I think)... I have some red sea xenia you might be interested in.

IJO

Hi Nickb, I'll trade you a nice xenia colony for that reef rat you won at MASO6 Just kidding!! I do have some xenia that I'm preparing, and I'm not far from you. These are colonies, not frags, and resonably priced. I live just around the corner from the Beacon Hill Shopping Centre, not far from Montreal Road and Ogilvie. Let me know if you're interested.

Ok, just to get the terminology right, propogating Xenia is with colonies but acros', etc. are frags? Would you call 'shroom propogation, frags? And how does one propogate hard corals like brains or Euphyllia? Frags? Thanks.
    Nick

Nick,
    Don't worry, you can say frags for pretty much all. Perc probably means that the Xenia he has are a nice size with more than one head/branch growing out of it. A frag would be if you cut off just one stalk. If you're willing to take a piece of advice about all those "gbeginner" corals you're interested in, it would be to place them in the tank where they won't be growing on or touching your main rock structure. These are all things that grow very fast and compete simply by overgrowing other corals. It is literally hell to get them off the rockwork whenever you try to down the road. In most cases, you simply won't be able to get it all off and if even one little living cell of the tissue remains on the rock, it WILL eventually grow into a whole new colony and you'll be starting all over.

Thank JohnnyRock

Just wanted to say a 'thanks' to Johnny for sharing some 'shrooms with me. I had asked to get these about the same time that he had his recent tank troubles. Despite struggling with that, he was still really helpful in sharing.

I also got a chance to see his tank and the effects of the recent troubles. I know this epsiode was upsetting but if I can get my tank looking even half as good as his does now, I'll be real happy. Hope things get back on track soon. And the fish were so cute :-)
    Nick

Talking nickb

did you manage to get any of those shrooms to stick anywere? did ya try the toothpick thing as well? Its tough sometimes to get those little slimers to take but once they take!!!

When I do cuttings of my mushrooms, I take a piece of PVC pipe that has a 6 inch radius, and is about 5 inches long and work it down into the sand. I cover the top with a farily coarse mesh (ie: like bridal veil, to keep the other critters out, but let light in), and inside the pipe, I put a layer of live rock pebbles (about 1-2 inch sized) on the bottom. On top of the pebbles I put the cuttings, and leave them for about 2-3 weeks until they heal, and attach. Once attached, it is easy just to glue them wherever you want them.

Neat idea (zookeeper). I did try the toothpick method. I have them ' in place' but nothing attached yet - might be too earliy.
    Nick

Todd

Thats a great idea!