Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

to keep or not to keep?

Hi, I have a question for anyone who maybe able to give me some input. For christmas a friend bought me a chocolate chip starfish. Problem is I was doing lots of reading about them(after I got him!) and everything I read says I shouldn't have him in my tank. My tank has a few corals in it and he doesn't seem to be bothering them at all. He glides over the rocks and on the glass. Hes cleaning up really well. Am I just asking for trouble by keeping him? Or is it at all possible he will get along fine. I have star polyps,mushrooms, and candycanes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Well, all I can tell you is that I have ONLY heard that they are NOT reef safe. I don't know what they eat though, sorry. If you don't have any of the type of coral that they eat, you're fine, however, it'll get pretty hungry eventually....
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well I see him eating all the time. There is now almost no algea on the back glass and I have seen him eating the brine shrimp that floats on the top. I guess maybe I will play it by ear for now..fingers crossed.. thanks

Interesting to know that they eat brine shrimp... Are you SURE it is the star eating the algae?
    Matt.

Well I am almost positive. I see funny marks (rather large ones) on the glass. I only have 4 snails in there and they've been in there for quit some time and haven't been keeping up really.But since hes been in there, its disapearing!

Amajus,
    That's interesting to hear. From what I know, I'd have to say it's the same as what reefmutt said. Choco chippies are supposed to be carnivorous and are "supposed" to eat certain types of corals. Never had one either to give any personal experience. "Most" stars are supposed to also eat mainly bacterial stuff, sponges, tunicates, etc.... Never heard of an algae eating one though. Keep an eye on it and try to observe what it is indeed eating. Let us know any new insight you might have.

Thanks for the reply, Well I watched him on the glass for a good 30 mins today, and as he moves across the algea is gone. Whether he is eating it, or just "moving " it somewhere is beyond me. I'm seriously stumped here. I know now what he is suppose to eat and do.. But it doesn't appear that he is doing that.

Maybe you got a trippy choco chippy... I still wouldn't keep if you intend to add more and different types of coral. I've seen them do nicely in a fish only tank...
    Matt.

Hello

Problem with them is that they will eat almost anything. This includes clams, corals, sponges, anneomes, snails, urchins and yes If you are using a deep sand bed they will route around in it and eat worms, pods and so on. They are a very opertunistic preditor. IMO not suitable for the reef tank.

Stan

Thanks for the advice everyone I really appreciate it. I think I may wait it out a bit more and see what happens. I know what to keep my eyes open for now, and the second i see any "usual" choc chip behaviour.. out he comes. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast