Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grounding The aquarium???

Is like to know your opinion about grounding the aquarium.Is it worth it?

It's simple to do and it's one less thing to think about. There is almost always stray voltage in a tank, no one really knows how it affects the animals in a tank, but it has been named as one of the possible culprits of lateral line desease in fish. It's cheap, too, so I don't see a down side.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    However,

I would like to state that the use of a Grounding probe is COMPELTELY dependant on the quality of the ground connection in your receptacle within the wall... If there's a flimsy connection in there, you may be introducing more problems than curing...

Ideally, I would ground against one of the house's plumbing pipes. Or in the very least, Check the ground connection in the receptacle with a voltmeter PRIOR to plugging in that ground probe.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Talking grounding

I'll sway into this a bit. There is tons and tons of debate on whether adding a ground probe is actually a bad thing. For instance[and I must have read 100 threads on this at RC] when you add a probe from the tank to your ground,your are in essence finishing the circuit[if there is a problem] and the voltage therefor travals thru your water right to the probe. This could in effect shock you, your fish, and when testing for stray current you might not find it unless you put the probe right into the path of the voltage in the water.Now, the GFGI plugs are a must! This is just my oppion from what I've read from some very informed electrcians so I've decided to go probeless.

Yup, I agree with you Johnny...

I've actually posted several articles here to that fact...

ijo
    same here... probeless

IJO

So none of you guys actually use probes?
    Derik...

I don't.

If possible, try to find the thing that is causing the stray voltage and it may be able to be replaced. I agree that grounding probes could be dangerous and cause more problems than fish stress.

The only concern I would have with a GFI is that if it trips ... and they are very sensitive ... you could come home and find a mini disaster on your hands when no real issue exists. All your pumps etc would have been off for what ever length of time is involved.
    I prefer to use a fused or ground faulted power bar and plug into it only the items whos power cords enter the water. I do not believe the main sump return pump should be the submersed type for this reason.
    IN ANY CASE ... GROUNDED OR NOT EVERYONE who is in this wonderful hobby of our that sees 120 volt, 15 amp wires going into our tanks should always take the maximum amount of care while working around, on or in their setups. It's a hard habit to get into .... but ALL POWER to the setup should be turned off before you EVER put your hands in the water. At least give the surface a quick flick before you plunge your are in there. Stats kept on accidental DEATHS in the USA indicate that DEATHS related to the aquarium hobby are very high. I don't remember the #s as it was some time ago that i read the article but it was among the top 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast