Temperature regulation

What kind of temperature swing is acceptable between the tank temperature at night and the temperature during the day?

Last night I looked at the temp of the tank, 80.2 and this morning I checked and it was 77.8 Is this too large of a swing in temperature?

2 degrees, really should not make a huge difference.. I mean think in reality, The ocean Is never ever the same..

have you ever been to a resort or anything.. Someone once told me that when they where in Fiji, that they accually found the water alittle too warm around 2pm to swim in ( ocean) that they prefered swimming at 8am or 6-10pm..

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Tooloud,
    That may have to do with the ambient air temperature... if I'm not mistaken, the ocean temperature is rather stable and takes a while to fluctuate...

This is why experts are worried about Global warming affecting ocean temperatures by 2 degrees.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Also remember that in the tropical oceans, the top 3 feet of water may fluctuate 2-4 degrees but this isn't where the livestock is. This causes the water along the beaches to also be warmer. Just walk out about 10-20 feet on the beach when the water is warm, you'll soon se the real temp.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

2 degrees

This little swing nightly is no problem but I wouldn't want it to be anymore extreme than that. Now, summer and winter temps can be even a little more extreme as there not usually nightly but weekly. For instance, going from 80 to 84 and staying there for a week wouldn't normaly cause trouble but 4 degrees overnight constantly I don't think would be to good.

Also consider tidal effects on water rushing in and out of lagoons and other semi-secluded areas of water. The sun can heat up a small body of water quite quickly which is then flushed back out to sea as the tide turns. This often happens around reef areas. I don't think 2 degrees is really that bad, but I agree that more than that may be stressfull. Still, the more stable the better, no question.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high