Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Temperature help..

ok so i set up my tank this morning and i used warm water... don' know why but i did.. now my thermometer reads 30.. all day it sat at 30...

now i rinsed off the thermometer with cold water and dropped to 20... but i put it in the tank after 7 hours its at 30..

and my heater hasn't been on it flickers sometimes but thats it..

hmm maybe its a crappy thermometer?

any suggestions?

if the heater is flickering from time to time it sounds like it is maintaining the temp at about 30. The light on the heater will only go on when the heater is running. I would unplug the heater until the tank temp drops to the temp you want, then plug it in again and adjust its setting downward until the light just goes off. It is possible but not likely that the thermometer would be at fault. also keep in mind that depending on the size of the tank the water may take several days to cool.
    Rob

Unhappy warm water?

are we talking warm tap water? hope not. at least you should use declorinated/cloramine COLD tap water and let it sit for a few days. Warm water comes from the hotwater tank which has even more crap[iron,minerals] and also warm water doesn't do the chemical any good[the one you use for declorinating]. I used tap water for a year and was singing its praises but started having problems and once I become more educated to what is actually in the water I will never use tap again. Especially if your going to keep corals.

Considering AC price for RO/DI unit there is no excuse for not having one.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Johnny Rock is right .. If this water is warm because it came from you hot water heater as compared to being heated up by your heater then you should ditch it and re-fill with cold water. The cost of the lost salt and water (if already mixed) is nothing compared to the issues you will likely have once the tank is running. However if by chance your home and/orthe hot water heater are very near to new you would likely be OK this time. When I fill my tanks I use COLD water that has been run hard for a few minutes before starting the fill. And do think seriously about getting a RO/DI unit while their on sale
    Rob

ro/di

TRUE DAT! at the price AC is charging for there 75g RO/DI systems everyone should have one! Mine works great! and I have an extra line to make RO drinking water for the family.

When first using the heater let it adjust(off) the the water temp in the tank, then after a period of time, you can turn on the heater... other wise the heater temp setting will be off a few ..too several degree's:fireman:

HMMMM .. I have never heard of needing to allow the heater to adjust to the current water temp before use??? Usually just set it to the desired Temp on the dial, put it in the tank and fine tune it when the desired temp is reached
    Rob

slykat is correct in his set-up of heaters ... you must allow the bi-metal thermostat in the heater to adapt to the tank temp first...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Most heaters will come with instructions on how to set them. Letting them sit and adjust is always the method recommended.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast