ornamental wrasse info pls

Has anyone had/or have info on the Ornamental wrasse?
    I saw one today at the RS and very beautiful, though I have little on them in my library..I've read that they may eat snails and small crustaceans, need 5" sand to sleep and very clean substrate. The RS said he had little experience in them and couldn't tell me anything.
    I was originally looking at the Leopard wrasse, but this guy got my attention.
    If anyone has one or has some info I'd be very appreciative. I don't want to buy I fish I don't how to keep.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

That name is not enough to go on, a scientific name or a photo would help...You never know how many different wrasses are being called the same thing.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Tiff,

Do you mean the "Ornate Wrasse" Halichoeres ornatissimus

These are reefsafe, rated 4/5 in Scott Michaels aquarium suitability index... and being of the Halichoeres spp., it may even eat flatworms and pyramilled snails.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That's the one...
    Looks good, I'll put it on hold for a week.
    What's the preferred diet?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

hello

They eat a varied diet of meaty foods. They will also play havoc with your benifical sand bed critters.

Stan

I found some more info. "this fish can easily pick up internal and external bacterial and fungal infections from detritus build up in the sand or gravel. Is a non-aggressive species that is compatible with other fishes and is safe with corals, but may be a threat to fanworms, small hermit crabs, snails, and ornamental shrimps. It is interesting to watch this fish, as you may observe it flipping small rocks or stones over in search of food".
    Is it a better choice than the leopard?
    I've been looking into re-stocking, a 130 litre 35 gal, and I'd come up with
    1- 2 Leopard wrasse (pair)
    2- 2 mandarin (pair) (though not enough algae for them,unless I remove the phosphate and silicate sponge_ so still under consideration and need to find more info which type is best, circular pattern or colors)
    3- copper-band (aiptasia cleaner then may return!!)
    4- Another cleaner wrasse (have L. dimidiatus and want to get the Godiosoma evelynae_the shark nose goby)
    5- and iether a pair of clowns or a dwarf angel.

I think thats about all I can fit in the tank, I'm a bit disappointed that most are functional fish
    I like different and colorful fish and most fish that come in appropriate size are yellow so I'm trying to avoid yellow unless it's a true beauty..
    And then I seee the orange spotted rabbit fish, the goat fish and the ornate wrasse........ I don't know if I'll go full corals at the moment with studies as time can be limited, so I still want to stick with reef safe.
    A bigger tank is about a year away at the moment. As I may be moving and don't want a 6 foot if I can get an 8 foot. Or wall tank.....

35G is close to my new tank size (29G). Based on the advice I have received, your list of fish looks over-optimistic. My understanding is that Madarins eat pods rather than algae and that a 35G size tank won't be able to produce enough pods for even 1 Mandarin. Why not 'true' Peppermint shrimps for aiptasia control? I also thought that the wrasses eat a similar diet to the Manadrin?

I'll be interested in comments from others with more experience than me.
    Nick

For all you Ottawa reefers, if you are interested in this fish the pic that Tang Man posted is really good. You can see one for real as they have one at the Innes Rd Aquarium Services under the title "Christmas Wrasse".

I had my hesitations on the Mandarins, due to feeding etc.
    So they were on the " think further" about list.
    Peppermint shrimps are illegal here, and we're not allowed to import them. there's a black variety available that being sold on-line by word of mouth but they also eat everything else...snails, crabs, etc. So the copper-band will be on the list for now. I plan to start nuking them with Kalk but my Calc levels are good w/out dosing as is so I don't want to unbalance the system.
    How long do they take to die after a nuke? If I do 1 rock at a time in a tub how long would I have to wait before putting the rock back in? Would I need to set up a tank for the rock while the Kalk is being dosed if it's going to take a day or two as I don't want the rock to die?
    Back to the xmas wrasse/ornate wrasse what's the verdict? To do or not to do?????