Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ok n00b question

I made my newly aquired liverock into aquatic shelfs.. Looks pretty sweet will take pictures...

Now my rock is uncured.. is there and maint to do while it cures besides water testing?

and does anyone have helpful hints for me!!

Thanks again..

Oh yeah My wife is starting to love my hobby!! :biggrinbo

oh yeah tank stats for yeah!

20g
    SG 1.023
    15w NO (aqualight next month)
    temp 27 (80)
    powerhead 175 gph
    HOF 150 gph
    25 lbs Crushed coral / Aragonite
    15 lbs uncure liverock (will top up with cured when cycled)

thanks..

maintenance

just make sure you test for ammonia and do water changes if detectable. make some saltwater up in advance and make sure its at same salinty[you knew that] and water temp. Sometimes the cycle can be very short with little dieoff. don't let the ammonia rise as this will kill off life in your rock and you want to keep as much as possibe.

some say not to do the water changes... for it build the bacteria needed for cycling..

hmmm i need more info.. time to surf net lol..

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It is advised not to do water changes when cycling the tank.

However, when curing Liverock, it is advised to do water changes as much as possible to keep the ammonia down and limit the amount of die-off from your liverock.

I would advise keeping an eye on the ammonia levels. There WILL be ammonia due to the rock having been shipped. You will also want to scrub off any dead black areas (ie: sponge) from the liverock. It is also strongly recommended to use a skimmer during the rock curing process. The liverock will develop a nasty smell until it cures. Once cured though, you should be able to hold your nose to it. It should smell like the tide just came in at the beach.

Your tank will cycle just fine afterwards...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

fisher man

when starting a new tank with cured liverock some will throw in a dead shrimp to help the bacteria along or will cycle with live fish[like damsels, not recommended] but with uncured rock you can to much dieoff causing a snowball effect killing most cool things[worms etc] in your rock. I'm sure the bacteria will survive a spike but you don't want a large spike. Your tank will cycle regardless but you want the benefit of extra goodies on uncured rock. Personally, I used live cured rock and let it cycle itself with just a pinch of flake fishfood. The rock seeded the sand bed and so on.

I'd also like to add, that you should be prepared for a smaller, second cycle. If you are planning to use un-cured rock for the first cycle, and then you add additional "curred" rock afterword, you may end up with a smaller, second, cycle.

Lastly, be patient

ok thanks so much!! So what lvl ammonia should i let the tank hit before i make a water change? during the cycling period i mean...

cause some ammonia is fine but like you said i want to save the life thats on these rocks.

Also i noted no real black.. i see some purple and some green.. very light tho.. but also i see "flaking" on the rock.. like when skin peels off.. oh yeah and some white..

hmm i looked for dead sponges but haven't seen any lol..

and the rock stinks lol..

but hey small price to pay..

Don't rush it,
    Count on 6-8 weeks to cycle then algae blooms will occur. Go easy stocking.

no rush just want to learn..

Im a worry wort lol..

you should be able to keep the water changes to a minimum by skimming off as much of the organic stuff as you can. Unfortunately inverts and simple marine life critters are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite then fish. So as has been said ... don't let the #s get to high or your kill off will be higher as well.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast