Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody have sea cucumbers?

I am just wondering if any of you has some sea cucumbers.I just bought one but i am not sure what kind it is.I also read that they can wipe out a tanks.Its not a fancy one i just payed 15$ for.Any advice on them?
    I am going to call the lfs to see what kind they sold me.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Well...

Not trying to tap your fingers, but you should always do your research before buying livestock in order to be sure that you can provide for it's needs and whatnot....

That being said...

Normally the bland "not fancy" cucumbers are the better ones to get. Hopefully you acclimated him slowly over the course of an hour or 2... Anyhow, you should notice "moppers" coming out of the mouth which pick up grains of sand/gravel. Clean sand comes out the other end.
    The other fancier cucumbers normally don't have these "moppers" and actually have little branch like appendages that they hang in open water flow to catch any waterborne debris. These are the harder ones to keep, and it is said that the colorful "fancy" cucumbers are the ones that cause tank wipe-outs....

On another note, stay away from it's closely related cousin, the sea-apple. These do indeed wipe-out tanks upon their death...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I had two, gave one away and seem to have lost the one I had! I think it died and the crabs took care of the mess. There were lots of posts at RC and in rec.aquaria.marine.reefs about "cuke nuke'. It seems that when some of them die, they spill their guts and toss deadly toxins the tank...Mine was the same as yours, plain cuke.

Yes i know I should do my reserche before buying...but i was there to get a fish for my friend and since i pretty much always bought my stuff there and from there same guy, i took his word(i know i shouldnt do that since he is a saleman after all),so i decided to try out the little thing.
    I saw him for a couple of hours and now i just didnt see him at all al day.Could he be in the sand?
    Anyhow tomorow i will call and ask the exact name and tell you.
    Derik...

cuces

if you buy or get the tiger tail cuke don't expext to see him much. they work the night shift. you can always look for little telltale signs. small piles of clean pellet looking sand. There fairly tough and secretive but do a good job. The ones that llok like,, a piece of turd like gregs seem to clean very well and are out more often[if you want to see that]

Can you describe the cuke?

It looks like a piece of turd and has little spines on him...but at noon the guy who sold it to me is starting work so i will call to know and let you know.Cause really i can find him he must be in the substrate
    Derik...

Does he kind of look like those big pretzils you buy at sporting events? Ie: is he a brownish colour and the "spines" are white?

I just called him and he said that he didnt know the exact name but he said that it is the most common one(like that helps me alot!)
    Derik...

Does not mater wich kind is. all slugs and cucumbers, have the same defence when they are stress or threaten and release a toxic, wich can be really devastating in a small cosed sistem, depending in the amount of toxing released by this guys. and I had two diferent incidents, even when I knew about it. be carefull whith pumps so they don't get hurt,
    and other fish or inverts that may stress them or killl them. or you will be in serius problem ( wich is wat hapend to me ) otherwise they are ok and y love them even the most nasty loking ones. good luck ovidio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast