Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Good starter corals

Hi, this is the first time I've visited this site. It looks very informative. I've had a SW tank for 3 years. The first time I tried corals was a flop. I'd like to try again. Any sugestions for starting over?

Cool

what is your lighting like?

Welcome Jeeves, I haven't been here too long but learned a load already... it's a great place to learn!! and make friends.
    First, corals are much more delicate than fish... they require near-perfect water conditions. You need to monitor the parameters very closely and understand the chemistry behind the glass. You need alot of light (neons or metal halide) and proper salinity (i.e. replace evaporated water as soon as possible). Also, you need to moniter calcium, phosphates, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the water as they are directly related to coral well-being.
    Some good starters are polyps, anemones and Xenias...
    Good luck and keep dropping in as I'm shure Johnny Rock and IJO will take pleasure in answering you question better than i could!!
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

A couple of additional opinions. Some more details about your set-up would be useful.

I'm not sure most people would class anenomes as a good starter animal. They tend to need lots of light and generally don't do well even in well established tanks. Many folks are actually saying they should not be collected at all.

Zoos, 'shrooms and many soft corals don't need metal halide lights and should be good in most beginner tanks (at least I hope so since they are what I am starting with).
    Nick

I have a 48 inch 110watt high output compact. It has 2 9325 degree kelvin lamps. I do have some live rock ~50 lbs. The water has been stable for the last 2 years. I do a 10 gal. water change every month. Right now I have a yellow tang,a blue tang, a dragon wrasse,a yellow wrasse,a lawnmower blennie and a pair of clownfish. Since I got the new light this past summer, I've seen more small things growing on the live rock. That's why it might be a good time to try corals again.

how high is your tank...you ll need metal halides if you want to go with sps...or the least you lll need are VHO or PC and more of it IMO....and plus dont the two tangs fight each other???

110W is enought to keep very low light corals such as mushrooms, yellow polyps, palythoa, some leathers, and even sun coral. However, I notice that you have no actinic lighting. This is important, and if you want to keep any corals, I suggest you get some....I like half and half (ie: 110W normal light, 110W actinic), but many people keep as low as a 1:4 ratio (actinic to normal). Still, even if you switched your lights to 55W normal light 55W actinic you could keep the corals mentioned above (although some would require feeding)

In addition to a light change, you will also need to supplement calcium. In a smaller tank, this is easy with bio calcium supplement, B ionic, or dripping Kalk. With a larger tank it is more cost effective to get a reactor.

I feel zoos and anemoes, require much better light systems than you currently have.

or instead of gettin actinics just get like 14000k or even better 20 000k...then you wont need acitincs

the fact that stuff is growing on your live rock is a good sign. I really recommend you get some actinics as most colors of the specter does not make it through water; blue, however, has a wave length that penetrates the water and that is what the corals have learned to become dependent on throughout evolution.
    Make shure you buy test kits and test the water parameters before you add anything in your tank.... it could save you money and frustration!
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

No the 2 tangs don't fight. My tank is 18 inches high. I don't know what you mean by the initials IMO,VHO, or PC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast