Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Anemones & lights

I have just added my first 2 fish about a week ago...
    Is it too soon to add any anenenenemmones?

that depends on alot of factors: lights, water condition... but if you added your fish a week ago, I would let the system adapt to the new load that is being created and when all becomes stable, then you are ready.... given you have all the necessary equipment (i.e. lights, feeding products, etc....) some anenenenemones can be expensive, so precaution is paramount.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Cool anenome

what CONAN said is good info! lights being a big part and water quality. also, Anenomes grow/split and some eat fish[carpets] don't hope to add other corals in that tank as Anenomes pack a mean punch! you might get away with some softies here and there but...keep all power heads covered with the strainer/screen as Anenomes will wander.

thanks Johnny! :biggrinbo
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

liv
    not only the anenomes go in powerheads...protect the powerhead inlet as much as u can... I learned that one the hard way last week..hard on budget... plus the waste of perfectly good cleaning crew... on the other hand.. my crabs had a feast.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I keep a huge carpet in my 90 but this is an art more than luck....to make these or any anenome stay in one place you need the right lighting, watermovement and food supply. I have two saddlebacks that feed him constantly as do I every second day. He is situated at the bottom of a steep rock wall and hasn't move in almost 8 months. The lighting is 3 VHO atinics and a 400 Watt MH. He's a great addition to my reef but great care has to be taken. Also, they eat anything that lands or bumps into them so fish selection is key. I've only lost one yellow coris in it's time but they will consume even large tangs if they get the chance. Mine know to stay away. Hippo tangs are definately out as they will lay right in the anenome. I have kept many anenome's and with the right care and environment, I have no problem keeping them in one place naturally. If I can help more let me know.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Ok, maybe I will wait a little bit longer... My tank is still fairly new...

Thanks to everyone for the info!!!
    I am who I am who I am who am I

DMB

Mouse ... if I want to keep an anemone in my tank and it will also have coral ... should I add the anemone first and let it find its place? Wait a few months to confirm that it is happy where it settled and then add corals at a distance from it?
    Rob

I think it's best to allow the anemone to find it's place first.
    You can position the anemone with lighting and water flow.
    I found that mine disliked any flow, and trapped him with the P/H's to keep him in one spot, and built a little rock wall around him, never moved, and did well.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

HMMMM kind of like a force field to keep him with in that area EH. I have seen people who put them in stubby glasses (like a Manhattan glass) and then never have to worry about damaging the foot if a move is needed. These are the same people who also bury test tubes or rigid piping in the gravel for jaw fish and Gobi's to use as a home.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast