Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How weird is this?? Shedding shrimp???

Last weekend I brought home a cleaner shrimp.
    Today when I came home, I found half of him floating in the front of the tank(His *arms, tentacles etc) and his tail floating on the bottom. By half of him, I mean it looks like he shed all of his skin. He is hiding in the back of the tank, a little smaller than he was this morning, but he is all still there, it looks like he has shed a layer of skin....

Do they normally do this?
    What should I do with the stuff??

Yes Megs that's normal. They will shed their skin when there's a big change in the water and when they grow. they will alway hide until the newly formed skin has hardened. Just remove the old one unless you have critters who will consume it.
    Rob

Ok, phew!
    (Sorry to sound like such a newb, but I appreciate the info!

Thanks!
    I am who I am who I am who am I

DMB

Don't worry Megs I went throught the same anxiety when it happened to me as well. As stated above, this is perfectly normal and you can expect it to happen quit often.
    They do become pretty shy until the new skin hardens but they'll be out again.
    It freaked me out the first time too. lol

Ask away Megs ... that's what this forum is for. NO question is too simple to ask.
    Rob

Megs, this is called molting and it is quit normal. It's also really cool! hehehe
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

Be sure to maintain water changes on a regular basis or add iodine supplement occassionally.

The lack of iodine is believed to inhibit molting and could result in the premature death of your shrimp due to him outgrowing his shell and not being able to shed it due to lack of iodine...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

You're doing everything right if they molt...take it as a good sign...I leave the shedded skin in for the critters to eat...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Has anyone heard that shrimp molt based on the lunar cycle? I read some info on that here-- http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/n_cope_082497.html

I freaked too when I saw my first shrimps exo.. I thought he died! I was ready to launch tests & water changes til I spotted him alive and well in his cave!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I have also heard that the condition and clarity of the molted exo.. is an indication of water quality. If you check it before it starts to decay ... One example is that finding black or Grey spots on it is a sign of heavy metals in the water. Anybody heard this as well?
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast