Thread: Skimmers...

Skimmers...

The next addition is gonna be the protein skimmer, I think, but I have not researched this topic enough to know what to get....

Can anybody shed some light on a good skimmer for a 26G tank???

Megs... think big, think for your next tank and get something you can re-use or re-sell at a fair price later on. Not something that you'll have to give away or hide in the closet.

You may want to post a WTB: Skimmer in the classified section....

A Red Sea berlin skimmer may be something appropriate for you at this stage....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ReefVan ... do you think the Berlin turbo skimmer that according to the manufacture is rated for tanks up to 250 gallons will do the job for me on a 180? I just don't have the room for anything bigger.
    Rob

No. It's as simple as that... ABahn had a Red Sea Turbo (still has for sale I think) on his 100 I think...(might be his 180) found it wasn't good enough so he went to a AquaC 180. It pulled even more crap out than the Red Sea and by a large margin.

He setup his 180 and found the AquaC 180 wasn't good enough with his SPS and all his big tangs (associated heavy feeding) so now he has a AquaC 400 twin injector skimmer. It pulls out even more crap than the last one....

I believe on a 180 you'll need at least a AquaC 240, AeroFoamer 840 (I think) or other heavy duty skimmer if you want to keep any type of half decent reef. A good clone would also be good...

You need as close to pristine water quality as you can get and I've personally seen on Toutouche's, reefmutt's and ABahn's tanks what a high end skimmer WILL do for the water quality in a well kept reef tank.

The skimmer is not the cure-all but a big step in the right direction along with consistent and proven reef tank maintenance practices....

MY two cents.....The Berlin turbo is just adequate for a 180, but very conveniant to use. It's a bit of a beast for a 26, but a good choice with the future in mind.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I just read Reefvan's reply and I completely agree with him....
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I've just recently started to dose KW using an automatic IV doser... but now in the skimmer pump compartment :thumb:

It has made a big differece for me and the foaming and gunk I'm pulling out is substantial compared to what I was getting before...

Previous discussions with ABahn about this fact had him point out to me that the AquaC actually has a John Guest fitting on the skimmer box for exactly that, a Calcium Reactor / KW input port.

The high oxygen content in the skimmer mixing box due to the micro-bubbles goes a long way into improving the inter-action between the KW and the foaming ability of the skimmer. I am more than satisfied with this phenomena that has improved my skimmers efficiency...

By the way I run an Aqua-Medic Multi on my 66 reef and if I wasn't moving to a 220 very soon, would change my skimmer to a larger model as stated above to get that extra margin of safety for heavy feeding and top-off water quality fluctuations.

Bummer ....I guess I will gave to look into a larger unit when the tanks stock levels and load become too heavy. In the mean time I will just have to run both units I have here. The other unit I have is a sanders reverse flow power skimmer that was rated for up to 100 gallons when I got it 7 years ago.
    Thanks Guys.
    Rob