Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Aiptasia and Kalk help pls

I found 2, 4 cm long aiptasia when I added the last 25 kg of the DSB to the tank.
    I'm planning on using Kalk to rid them, and inject them with it, (have friend that's a vet that will inject ) but I need a little help here......
    How long does it take for them to die?
    How do I remove the remains?
    How strong should the dose be?
    Do I do it in the main tank, or in a separate tank? I'm a little concerned about a raise in calcium, so should I do a water change immediately after they die, or after injecting?
    Thanks for any help.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Check this page out tiffany ... says to siphon it out a few minutes after the dose is given. Other good info there as well.

http://www.aquarium.net/faqs/aiptasia.shtml

Rob

I've used Kalk many times with about a 25% success rate. I now use vinegar in a syringe...melts them away instantly...and the small amount of vinegar (25 cc in a 90 gallon) is undetectable adn has no effects. works for me...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

tiffany, try buying a peppermint shimp. They eat the stuff. I had atapsia, not any more, and no finicking with syringes.

Peppermint shrimp are illegal here unfortunately, (tight import controls) and the Copper-band is taking too much time to get, been waiting about 2 months, since I saw a few little ones b4 I went away.
    mouse6196 what type of vinegar, and do you use the vinegar straight up or dilute it and how much per aiptasia?
    One Salty Dog great site, thanks for the link.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Just your regular white table vinegar...i use it dtraight from the syringe. Even if the aptasia retracts into a crevice, just blast it into the crevice with the needle. Works great...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks so much, I turned the LR around today so that I could see my targets, and it looks like a aiptasia farm.......
    The current plan is, to remove a LR to another tank, and inject in there, then rinse the LR with tank water into the sink, and then do the next rock. Due to the amount of these guys I discovered, I think I should do it rock at a time.
    How does that sound?
    Is there a better way of removing the remains? The link said a small siphon, I'm thinking another big syringe to suck them up and then rinse.

I tried the peppermints, but unfortunately they din''t go after the aiptaisa. Since In a dismantilng my tank to move to a larger setup, I am trying the vinegar approach.

I used the turkey baster to pump some vinegar in to the crevices they are hiding in.

I hope I got all of them, else i'll get the coperband after my new tank completes its cycling.

Venki

Tiff,
    I too have tried the Kalk paste in the past and not such a good success rate. They always come back in the same spot, even though you've actually seen the one you injected melt in all it's glory!!:evillaugh I also tried to seal them in with putty and that worked somewhat better although still not 100%. Since I got my Copperband ( from Australia I might add) it picked off every single one within 3 days and I have not had a single one since. If I were you, I would REALLY keep trying to find a CBB fish.
    I would think that since you're removing the rocks to clean, using a syringe to suck up the remains would be the most efficient.

vinegar works good, I tried it a few weeks ago. Could see the apitasia melting away as I squirted them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast