Thread: aiptasia

aiptasia

Hello I have some of the aiptasia and are getting really big they have been growing like mad, at first I thought cool some live coral and then now I find out they are nasty! I am planing on injecting them with lemon jiuce but they are so large what do I do with them when they die. I have two that are about 2" in dia. they are really big ones. Thanks for you time...

Cool

they'll just melt away fast[hopefully] but yeh, there a pain! I just started getting a few after 3 years of my tank running. If there small I cover them with super glue but I've heard hot vinegar works well and a KALK paste that you have to make sure you inject right in the center so they close in on it[eat it].
    hope this helps

Thanks for the help, what type of glue do you use with the small ones?

Cool

LOCTITE superglue gel, available at any HOMEDEPOT or CANADAIN TIRE. I also use ZAP gel.

I was just about to post on this, as after nearly 3 years I've grown an amazing aiptasia farm...
    I asked the same question recently and decided to use vinegar, plain variety, instead of kalk, and they shrunk within seconds and dissolved within the minute. I used this method on all sizes. I injected them with it, and tried to get it in the mouth when possible, as it was less effective if injected in the column.
    I was concerned about the effects on PH and haven't found any so far and have checked twice daily since, I should add that I added buffer the day before to prevent any PH drop, and did a water change of 10% immediately after, to remove any remains and try remove any acidity that may have resulted.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Hay thanks for your help I will seek and distroy!!! Have a good one...:bounce:

seeeeeaaarccchhhnnnn seek and destroy:guns: ...had the same problem a few months ago as well...I just added some peppermint shrimp and let them do the work for me

If you're a fan of low-impact, simple remedies, and don't really want to add any livestock... Have you tried injecting boiling water? The only issue you get is with elevated temps (very briefly, and very localized). This method has rid 2 smaller tanks these pests with no adverse effects, and no rigid contols for monitoring/adjusting water parameters, etc...

Simple and effective! :biggrinbo
    - Alan